Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im guessing not many of you guys have experience with this but ill ask anyway.

In the old days a silkworm gut leader was tied to a gut loop usually, so now a fluoro (or mono.. I use 3 strands and twist then boil them to hold their shape.. fish teeth fray dacron too easily) eye tied to a fluoro (or mono) leader makes the most sense, but i have never tried silkworm gut to my modern leaders. Have you guys fished with fluoro or mono leaders tied to a vintage silk gut loop before? do you have confidence it it? how long does it last?

I like to think that I can fish all my flies but im not sure if I should save my 90 year old silk gut for presentation.. which my flies arent there yet haha.

Thanks alot!

Andrew

·
Spey Fool
91 Posts
I fish with plenty of gut eyed flies tied to mono leaders - usually 10lb maxima. I've yet to lose a fly because the gut failed. I've had flies snag up and snapped the leader off but not at the knot/eye. However, my gut isn't 90 years old.

Tim

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fish with plenty of gut eyed flies tied to mono leaders - usually 10lb maxima. I've yet to lose a fly because the gut failed. I've had flies snag up and snapped the leader off but not at the knot/eye. However, my gut isn't 90 years old.

Tim

90 years old is abit of an exageration haha.. Im guessing its from the 40s. I havent located anything much mote recent, i assumed its not made anymore comercially

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
just do a strength test, i know the stuff isnt cheap but id say its worth wasting a chunk in order to build your confidence in it. I would love to know the results too as I have some gut flies I tied real early in learning classics thinking they were for a wall HAHAHAHA now I would like to fish some but like you dont have the confidence, however the reason people used it for so long is because it does work! I think its kinda silly that we (myself included) are hesitant when in the past that was the go to material for eyes and leaders... there is lots of info on the forum about strength tests if you need an example, in fact i think "failtospey" posted a photo of a strength test he did for his sub in the last few weeks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts