Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys ever fish two-handers with silk lines???

I know that two companies still make them (though they are $200-400).

Just wondering--

joe

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes, much finer presentation than modern lines.
Keep you're eyes on EBay there are a few oldies still about

·
Registered
229 Posts
Silk

Brooklyn,

Send a p.m. to "Inland." I fished with him in Quebec two years back and he was on a 13' Bob Clay cane rod and a Phoenix DT silk line.

I gave him some mild **it for wearing Simms G3's while fishing said outfit. I thought he should be wet-wading in tweeds or sweating his nuts off in Seal-Dri's in order to remain faithful to his retro experience.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gents--

Willie-- Your thoughts mirror mine. The salmon lines go for relatively cheap on ebay, too. Thanks.

Topher-- I feel the same when i fish a cane rod with a silk trout line in Goretex regalia. Tweeds it WILL be next time. Actually, I can't imagine a right-minded Victorian era or slightly later flyfisher (other than perhaps Edward Hewitt) turning down a pair of said Simms waders. Funny, though, I really don't consider silk trout lines a step down in functionality (as going from G3s to tweeds might be). For careful work, my Thebault DT 5wt is a good friend. Awesome nymphing line if I don't grease it, too. God bless Mucilin.

Cheers to you both.

Joe

·
Registered
889 Posts
Joe,

I too feel the same when it comes to trout lines. They are a complete joy to fish. In fact I find ZERO advantages with modern plastic rods and lines compared to wood and varnished silk.

Yes, Topher did give some ribbin' about goretex. And if I remember, the temps pulled into the 90's that week on the hot days and 'only' the 80's on the cool days. Um, goretex it is!

I don't fish silk/cane all that often for steelhead. Maybe 5 days a year. Really have to be in the mood for dealing with the rod weight and major LIMITATIONS. If the silk was capable of floating for more than 30 minutes it would be a great combo. Greased silk with a dead drift presentation: it floats like a cork for hours. Greased silk and swung under tension sinks no matter what you do with it. Dealing with that problem on a graphite rod is not all that hard. Dealing with the same problem and wood rod is more trouble than its worth.

But there are those times and places the wood and silk get fished...usually with unbelievably good results!!!

William

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, much finer presentation than modern lines.
Keep you're eyes on EBay there are a few oldies still about
Hi Willie :)
This is an old thread, but I am just into it now. It is not easy to find silk lines for salmonfishing. For troutfishing on singlehanded rods yes, but not for biiiiig rods :)
Hope you are well Willie.
Roar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts