Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who will be attending the SECOND ANNUAL GREAT LAKES SPEY CLAVE, which will be held on May 8-9, 2004, at Henning Park in Newaygo, MI, it would be greatly appreciated if you would use this thread to “sign-up”. If you are going to be attending, we would like as much of the following information as you are willing to provide.

1. Will you be attending on May 8, or May 9, or both days?

2. When do you expect to arrive at Henning Park?

3. Do you plan on fishing or just attending the Clave?

4. Will you be staying at a motel in town? Which one?

5. Will you be bringing your own food to cook at the park or would you prefer to have the organizers try to arrange a “cookout” (sausages, hamburgers, potato salad, coleslaw, cookies) on Saturday? Those participating in the cookout would kick in a modest amount ($10 or less) to offset the cost of food – the Clave itself is free. I raise this only to get a feel for the lay of the land. This issue can be discussed in later posts, but I thought it would be a good idea to put it on the table (pun intended) now.

Copied below is MJYP’s original post laying out the details of the Clave.

I hope to see you all there. Last year’s clave was, IMHO, a really good time.

SECOND ANNUAL GREAT LAKES SPEY CLAVE

On the Muskegon River
Henning Park, Newaygo, Michigan

SATURDAY, MAY 8; 8:30 AM until DARK
SUNDAY, MAY 9; 9:00 AM---?

FEATURING ANDY MURRAY, courtesy of House of Hardy, England
And Great Lakes Fly Fishing, Rockford, Michigan

SEMINARS AVAILABLE:

Andy Murray: Spey Casting and Fishing; Floating and Sinking Lines

Neil Houlding: Underhand Casting; Shooting Heads; Tube Fly Tying

Kevin Feenstra: Muskegon River Guide; Fishing the Muskegon with a Spey Rod

Fred Vargas: Spey Fly Tying

MANUFACTURERS’ EQUIPMENT ON DISPLAY:

HARDY, THOMAS AND THOMAS, SAGE, WINSTON, SCOTT, CND, ROBERT MEISER,
CORTLAND, LOOMIS, RIO, SA

Dress for the weather: waders, raingear and eye protection. We will have grills available at the park, so bring your favorite barbeque food and drink.

For lodging and other information contact: [email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
clave

arriving the 7th
only there for the 8th and will leave Sunday am
will be in a camping van
wife coming so will likely eat meals with her
just attending the clave not fishing

·
fly on little wing
1,106 Posts
I'm about 80% certain I'll attend

1. May 8 PM
2. May 8 after kid's soccer game
3. Clave
4. Drive in, drive out
5. Food not important. Will drink Peter's beer, though:)

Gary

I forgot about my son's soccer game. I'll arrive in early PM.

Gary

P.S. Still will drink Peter's beer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will be there!

1) I am planning on coming a couple of days before the Clave to fish a little. Muskegon and / or PM

2) Will bring money for food

3) Plan on staying at Cronk's

4) Really looking forward to the Clave and seeing everyone

Stephen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clave Attendance

I'll be there.

I'm not a spey guy, but I'd sure like to learn a little abOOt it.

1. Saturday for sure, maybe Sunday with wife and daughter.

2. Saturday, first light.

3. Clave, but I'm gonna have my six weight and waders in the truck....

4. I'll drive home - I live 45 minutes away.

5. I like to eat. I just might bring my own, depending on the condition of the wallet vs. condition of the larder.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will fish friday and do the clave sat and sun i am looking forward to see all you guys . I am looking for a place to stay mabey i will just camp and buy food at the clave if that will help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1) Attending all day May 8
2) Arriving Tuesday night
3) Fishing Wednesday to Friday
4) Cronks
5) Will bring food and money

Dave

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was a visitor at last years clave and recieved LOTS of great advice and help.Looking forward to meeting more Spey fans.

1.Both days.......I hope.

2. 8th.Not sure if I can get the morning off work yet,so arrival time uncertain.

3.Both.

4.I have a cottage on the Mo ten minutes from Henning.I'll be staying there with the wife and kids.

5.Undecided on the meals.

Let me know if I can assist in any way.........

Looking forward to the weekend!!!

MOJO-65

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Listed below are the people who have indicated an interest in attending the GL Clave. I believe there are 20 people on this list. Last year, I think we had about 25 people “sign in” on the Board, but had about 40 at the Clave. If you don't see your name and you are going to attend, for planning purposes, please check in on this thread.

Thanks,

CK

THE TALLY

1. MJYP + MIKE
2. SMOLT
3. PETER-S-C
4. NU-TO-SPEY
5. VOODOOFLY
6. ISRIGG
7. COLDSOAKERS
8. HERON
9. DGB
10. MOJO-65 (MAYBE)
11. FISHGUNNER
12. DON C.
13. DAVID B.
14. JULIAN VG
15. FOERSTER H.
16. STEVE McC.
17. MATT G.
18. JAMES McL
19. NEIL H.

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
We're there

Deegan, troutrgreat,and I will be there both days in the afternoon. We probably won't eat but if we do we will bring money or our own food.I'm trying to post a picture on here to give you guys somthing to look forward to but I'm having trouble!

There,that worked!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm in...

I thought I signed up already. I'll be there Saturday, except for some of the afternoon. No lodgings or food needed as I live an hour away.

Looking forward to attaching faces to names.

Carl

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm Coming

I finally have all my travel plans in order, not approved, but submitted. I have work in Battle Creek, so, darn it, I will just happen to be in the area and have the weekend free.
1. I'll attend both days.
2. I'll get in Friday night at Cronks
3. I'll bring my wading gear, but can't bring much else, I'm on the road for 2 weeks.
4. Staying at Cronks
5. I'll participate in the cook out and pay.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Attendance

I should be able to make it to both days. Will arrive very early morning on Saturday, would like to keep it simple and pay $10 (right?) for whatever's cooking. Last year's "spey-chicken", "spey-beer", etc. was north of great.
See y'all there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Attending the event

I am planning on attending Saturday and part of Sunday. I will arrive on Friday afternoon and will be staying in a hotel near by. I emailed this morning and requested hotel info. I am really looking forward to attending. I actually fished with one of you guys on the CAT a couple of years ago. I know you can cast a country mile... Maybe I'll learn!!

Can you let me know about hotels, and an itinerary for the day would be great as well.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Directions

I have not been to this park before. If someone has directions I would be most greatful.

Also... any hotels in the area you would recommend would also be appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and learning something new.

Best Regards,

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Count me in...

Both Days plus Friday perhaps
8am
Both Fishing and Casting; anyone show me how ;-)
No idea yet...
Would be glad to have someone cook for me; sign me up.

e

ps- need any help just lemme know.

pps- Neil, lemme know where you guys are going to be Friday around Noonish

·
Registered
202 Posts
Steelhead Kid..........

.......I've lived in the area for several years. If you are familiar with M-37--it runs right through Newaygo-----It is very easy.

M-37 crosses the Muskegon on the north edge of town------Big bridge----Hard to miss!!!.....If you look upstream------East,you can just see the parking lot on the north bank.........On the north side of the bridge there is a traffic light.Croton drive or Croton-Hardy drive goes to the East.Go up the hill and shortly you will see a sign on the right(south) side of the road that says"Henning Park".Drive down the hill past the soccer fields,past the campground to the boat ramp and you are there!

If you need further directions just ask......I'm happy to help!!!

I should be able to make the entire weekend as I've gotten Saturday off and My wife and kids will be staying in GR as they know I'll be busy..............He He He......My wife is the Greatest!!!

I was fishing the Muskegon on Sunday.........Still several steelhead in the system.Most fish were darker in color.I brought my cousin on his first trout fishing trip and we did quite well on holdover trout.A steelhead would've been nice,but we were quite restricted as to where we could wade due to my cousins disability.

Looking forward to meeting all and learning!!!!

MOJO

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Eric.
Will be doing a float with one of the local guys on Friday.Not sure what time we will arrive at Henning Park.
Probably some time in the late afternoon.If I miss you there will be at Cronks Motel.
See you there.
Speyladdie. :smokin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts