Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive started on a fresh box of shrimps for next season since everyone knows ya cant fish last years flies this year.

Only 40 or so more to go!

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,735 Posts
Great Start

And Great flies

·
Administrator
19,128 Posts
These are great !!
Love the little shrimps , your Ally shrimps are killer !!
Keep posting your efforts ... very inspiring :)

I tied up a few small Tippet Shrimp and gave a few out to some friends on the river this season . Man do they look killer on the swing the way the side tippets move !!

Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Beautiful ties but I'll toss in my .02 cents.

For Steelhead make the 'tails' much shorter. Can't speak for Atlantic Salmon, but Steelhead (ours anyway) tend to be 'short strikers.' The 'nip,' the 'tug,' the etc., and zip ...... :( Keep the 'tail' just a tiny tad longer than the bend of the hook. :smokin:

Hooks? Partridge Salar Doubles? Best hooks I've ever used.

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 40 more is what Ive figured will fit the box. They are for me and they are for Atlantics, Fred.

They are some Mustad hooks (cant remember the number). I like the Salars, as well, but I like the traditional, standard length shanks better, I think, and I really dont think the Salars justify the price (it costs more for 10 Salar hooks than it does for 25 hooks of other types such as Code Ps and these Mustads and the like).

Those are 6's and 10's there. Ill just tie those and also some size 12's with the real little stuff like Stoat's and the like.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I'd tie a few Park Shrimps as well - thay have been very successful on this side of the pond.

Good luck, Tyke.

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I refuse to tie Parks (mostly because I dont feel like dying silver badger to tie them properly :D )

Ill round this out with some Flamethrowers, Irish-style shrimps, a few Willie Gunns, and even the a couple of the hated (because it looks SOOOO stupid) Red Francis fly.

At least some of these will see water on your side of the pond, also.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
If you told my friend Chris that the Red Francis was banned he'd have to take up golf!

He is very successfulwith the 'Francis.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, its definitely a successful fly but that doesnt change my opinion that it looks ridiculous. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
I refuse to tie Parks (mostly because I dont feel like dying silver badger to tie them properly :D )

Ill round this out with some Flamethrowers, Irish-style shrimps, a few Willie Gunns, and even the a couple of the hated (because it looks SOOOO stupid) Red Francis fly.

At least some of these will see water on your side of the pond, also.
some cracking flys there heero, agree with you on the frances, its thee most stupid looking fly ever but by god does it catch fish.... i never leave the house without some:smokin: im actually in the middle of tying a batch of them myself:smokin::Eyecrazy:

ps dont forget the bann specials;)

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont think Ive tied a fly since I lasted posted this topic, but I tied up a few the other day. Box is coming along.

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Pete,

I wont forget the Banns. Ill tie the Irish flies as soon as I can get myself a new GP skin.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Those are some cracker Ally's Shrimp, Cascades, and even the Francis. Although I hate the look of the Francis and never tie or use them as a result, I'd sooner use a piece of yarn lashed to a hook.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What size hook do you use most for those little doubles?
And which hook (brand and style) do you like best?
I need to tie up a few doubles for Gaspe next summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts