Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for you guys that have a shorter spey rod (less than 13') I was wondering what sort of reels you guys are using? I need a reel for a 12'6'' Orvis 7wt, it weighs 7 3/4oz. I be using a Rio 7-8 Accelerator w/tips setup. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Spey Reels

There are plenty of reels out there that will fit for this application. I personally use the Ross BG series in a size 5/6/7 on some of my shorter spey rods. They are an excellent reel and can also be used on some larger 8/9/10 wt single handed rods. They make a great reel that can fit just about any application and can be used for spey rods as well as one handers fresh or salt water. Good Luck and Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have the Scott 1287 and am using a Ross BG 7 on it with a 7 xlt - A smaller reel likely would not take the line but it balances ok - probably a bit heavy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about

I had been thinking of a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 or maybe the 4. Anyone using one of these?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Two others to consider (if price is a factor here) are..

The Tioga's and the updated Phlug' Supremes. Both reels are very inexpensive, you can pound nails with them and would balance this rod rather nicely.

Vis a vis the Phlug. Supreme, given a choice be sure to get the new model intro'ed this year. It has a much better drag system than the originals. The orig. was a 'click drag,' a real adjustable drag but with click stops.

fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Lambchop

The Orvis Large Arbor Battenkill, the largest one they sell would be an excellent and reasonable priced reel for that rod.

The uptake on that reel may exceed my Loop 4. The drag can be set to stop a bull or battle a large trout with a light weight tippet.

I just wished that they made a couple of larger sizes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use a Litespeed 3.5 and Ross Gunnison 5 for my smaller spey rods; the Ross will hold a lot more backing but both are OK. The Litespeed can hold about 125 yards of regular micron with a midspey 6/7 line. It is not large enough for a larger long belly line.

The Litespeed 4.0, though, will hold 10/11 weight lines. I think Lamson needs something in between.

Circlespey

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: What about

Lambchop said:
I had been thinking of a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 or maybe the 4. Anyone using one of these?
I use Litespeed 3.5's, and 4's. I like them because they have decent drag systems, are light, and geometrically are well-proportioned from a functional point of view. They also appear to hold up to salt water quite well. I've used a 3.5 with a 6/7/8 Windcutter and a 6/7 Mid Spey. I've used 4's with larger Mid Speys, up to 9/10. If I were you, I would go with the 4: it may seem too large, but it is a relatively light reel and the additional capacity never hurts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Going back to the original question,

what reels do you short spey guys use, the short answer is:

Any reel that will hold your favorite line, with your desired amount of backing and balances the rod.

It is "desireable" if it has a fast retrieve, and a very good drag, but these last two are not really necessary - witness the longevity of the Pflueger Supreme.

That about sums it up. I know, it's not "my favorite reel is....." ,
but really that's about all you need to know.:devil:

BobK:smokin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reel for T&T 1309

Hi

I am using a LOOP LW 8elleven om my T&T 1309. In my opinion it is the best lighiweight reel on the marked, I´ve used it for 3 years now whitout any problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well That Settles That.

Broke down and gotta new Teton 9-11. The price was too good too pass up. Would've liked another 3W but didn't have any luck finding a bargain one. I heard good things about the Teton so we'll see. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts