Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Redington Chromer 7136 Rod, Echo TR 4120 Rod, Redington Grande 7/8/9 Reel, Lamson ARX 3.5 Reel
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it is possible to shorten a rod by cutting the tip section, or would this change the action of the rod significantly? I was thinking about cutting 12 inches off a rod tip or should I just sell the rod and look for a shorter one? TIA

· Registered
62 Posts
Would definitely change the action, but to which degree depends on the taper. I would imagine that the whole rod would stiffen up, as the force working on the lower sections would be less, due to the shorter tip, regardless of the taper (Soft butt, stiff tip or soft tipp stiff butt). I have heard of people who have cut down long classic spey rods, in order to make them more suitable for short, heavy lines, but personally, I would opt for a new rod.

· BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,959 Posts
Send the rod to meiz and have him take the foot off the bottom of the rod but really for the cost just get a shorter rod and if the streams are that small maybe look at speycasting any of your single hand rods

· Registered
2,732 Posts
You might run into a problem with finding a new tip top after remove a foot from the tip section, and taking that much off will definitely change how the rod acts and performs.

I wouldn't do it.

· Registered
Redington Chromer 7136 Rod, Echo TR 4120 Rod, Redington Grande 7/8/9 Reel, Lamson ARX 3.5 Reel
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Send the rod to meiz and have him take the foot off the bottom of the rod but really for the cost just get a shorter rod and if the streams are that small maybe look at speycasting any of your single hand rods
I was thinking the same. Most of the rivers/streams I fish are not that big and I have typically just used a single hander prior to getting this rod. I could always rig up a single hander for spey casting, which I could easily do with the lines I already have for this rod.

· Registered
139 Posts
I would just put a small bottom grip on a single hand rod you already own if you have one with a suitable action for trout Spey. Keep the current 12’er for bigger waters when on your travels. Can’t lose.

· Registered
Winston Trout Rods, Sage and Burkie Steelhead Rods, Abel, Orvis, Tibor and Islander reels.
335 Posts
I was wondering if it is possible to shorten a rod by cutting the tip section, or would this change the action of the rod significantly? I was thinking about cutting 12 inches off a rod tip or should I just sell the rod and look for a shorter one? TIA
I would reach out to Steve Godshall and he can give you great advice and take care of it for you if that is the decision. You can reach him at: [email protected]
Good Luck!

· Registered
3,888 Posts
I think if you take that much off the tip, you'd be changing the line rating as well as the action.

I have a cheap 6 ft 2 wr glass Cabelas sh rod that is a spey casting machine. I'd look at something like that before I'd chop something up.

· Registered
1,729 Posts
Long ago, before the American spey renaissance, there was a brief fad of fishing for steelhead with long, soft, fiberglass rods and light mono. I built a ten foot fly rod out of a 10 1/2 foot, two piece Lamiglas blank. It had a slow action, and, like many slow rods, could handle a wide range of line sizes. Instead of shortening the butt by six inches, I should have taken three inches off both the butt and the tip sections. It wasn't powerful, but it worked well on small rivers like the North Stilly.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I will not go the route of shortening the rod. It seems like it is more work and headache then its worth. will either keep the rod, or sell it and get something shorter to replace it.

· fly on little wing
1,189 Posts
string up line to length you want. cast and fish it. if acceptable, cut off tip, measure diameter and glue new tip top on. easy peazy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts