Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a 6-7 wt spey rod in the 12'-13' range. I was woundering what do you guys would recomend? I currently have a 9140-4. I am looking at the faster action rods would that be a good choice for light line rod.
thank you
mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a FlyLogic Dec Hogan series rod that is a 13' 8wt. I love it. It's one of my favorite rods. They also have a 13' 7 wt. that I have not tried. Dana did a review of all 3 FlyLogic rods about a year ago. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find it.

If you'd like to test cast my 13' 8 wt I'd be happy to do it. We could meet on the Mollala in Canby. I'll also have it at the Clave.

TL's,
GBSkunk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Short spey rods

Mike, for the past four seasons 95% of my spring, summer, and fall fishing has been with a Sage 12'6" six weight. It's a fast action (European) rod that's light in hand and a fine tool for landing small to mid-size steelhead (4 - 12 lbs.) Though, with the reels required to carry a spey line, I'm certain one could land much larger fish but this has yet to be my pleasure. The rod could be improved if Sage would lengthen the butt by two inches to enhance the ergonomics though. It will readily cover the water even on really windy days, provided your a capable caster and don't object to shorter casts and the line being blown off course due to its lack of mass. This rod is also an excellent nymphing tool for fishing pocket water for trout. Due to the light line weight your learning curve will be slightly longer. Though timing is everything in spey casting, I've found it even more critical is using this light rod. Nevertheless, once mastered the rod is a joy to cast and no rod brings greater pleasure when landing a lively steelhead. Another rod you should consider is the seven weight Scott Spey rod. The slightly heavier line weight shortens the learning curve; it's a real casting cannon. And yet it is still light enough to make landing fish enjoyable. Unless your fishing waters with extremely large steelhead and horrific wind conditions, I'd encourage you to get in on the fun of fishing the lighter weight two-handers. Good luck, John

·
JD
3,609 Posts
A few years ago, I went through this same exercise. Although my criteria was not so much based on length but for a rod to throw the lighter lines for low clear water, and the smaller half pounders.

The choices were more limited then. and even after finally aqquiring a (green) Sage 7136, I kept trying everything I could get my hands on. To date I played with the Lamiglass and St. Criox rods mentioned as well as a Redington (the cheaper Redfly) and come of the Cabelas and Anglers Workshop roads.

But the sweetest little rod I've been able to get my hands on so far is the T&T 1307-3. A 13 foot 3 piece for a 7 wt line. It's owner has it matched up with a 6/7/8 Windcutter and a Loop Evotec Lite (I think) reel. We have also swapped lines, my 7/8/9 WC, 7136, each line each rod. and while either rod will handle either line, each rod feels better with the lighter line.

The T&T is a faster action rod, easily capable of 90 foot casts the way Peter has it set up. It does not feel "tippy" like the Sage 6126. If you can afford the bucks, or get a deal, I would highly recommend tracking down this rod and at least giving it a test drive. Have to warn you though, you might be the one that gets hooked!:chuckle:

JD

·
JD
3,609 Posts
T&T Spey Rod

I also have two T&T single handers. A 907-4 Horizon and a 904-3 Light Presentation. As well as a few Sages. I guess a lot of people get stuck in a rut and never bother to look at the T&T's. They don't get talked about too much like some of the others. Dana had some interesting things to say on the Spey Pages about a T&T rod that he had for awhile. Something along the lines of "what could a company based in Mass. know about Spey rods?" He found out. :D

JD

·
Registered
239 Posts
for short spey rods in the 6-7 weight range, i love the scott 1287. it's a progressive action rod which casts up to about 110 feet in fishing conditions, and it is prefectly balanced. i have also cast the T&T 13' 7 weight (nelson ishiyama's rod), which is a very nicely balanced, forgiving rod, not too mushy in the butt (like the sage 7136). the sage 6126 is a very sweet stick too; reminds me much of the 1287. i don't think you could go wrong with any of the afrementioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
short rods--Scott 11'9" #6

bought this rod on a whim and tho I am a new spey-rodder with more money than good sense(also have a Sage 10160-3 and 8150-4), did I make a good choice in buying this rod ? Does anyone out there have any experience with it? I have used it purely as an overhead rod nymphing, but does it work well doing classic spey moves? Some will immediately say, "Well, try it idiot!", ---but I am a beginner and would like a seasoned speycaster to tell me what the speying potential of this rod(with right line) is. Reel suggestions?(Using an Abel 2 -----or just forget it and get a better short spey rod! My first post on this site---what a treasure to find for someone new to spey. Enough now!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have the Scott 12'8" 7 wt that is a really wonderful casting and fishing tool. Handles both long and short casts well - I have been using a Midspey on it but this weekend tried the Airflo long Delta spey which is a really great line on this rod.

The rod handles the mulit-tip sink tips well and is a very smooth casting rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts