Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Padawan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a revelation this summer when casting sink tips for big river smallmouth bass. When I shortened my leader to only 2 feet I started hooking up more often. I think this is because the sink tip could get the fly in the zone quicker and keep it there.

Have any of you tried going short swinging for winter steelhead when there is a little color in the water? I am thinking this may also help with casting and reduce need for weight on flies.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yes, fly needs to be in their face. Long leaders take time to get the fly down to the zone! On average my leaders for winter are 3ft, some times shorter somtimes longer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ive shortened my leaders with great success. Long leaders will tend to ride much higher in the water column. I'm down to 15-18 inches.

·
Dom
3,146 Posts
Once the fly is down it stays there but initially yes, fly will take much longer to catch up with the tip. Not so much of an issue if fly you are using sinks at the same or faster rate than the tip.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I go for 1m ( 40 inches) or less if I am using a sink-tip - single hand or double-hand. I moved between Seaquar Blue Fluorocardon and Maxima Chameleon.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Seaguar STS Salmon Fluorocarbon Leader Fishing Line:

20 lb cost with shipping for 100m ( 110y) is $ 12.50.

FC sinking rate is like intermediate ca. 1.5'/sec

20 lb Seaguar has diameter ( 0.0155") = to the real diameter ( not advertised !!!) of 15 lb Maxima (0.016"), while 17 lb Seaguar diameter ( 0.014") is essentially the same as real ( 0.015") diameter of 12 lb Maxima Ch..

20 lb Seaguar has the same stiffness as 15 lb Maxima Chameleon

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
Seaguar STS Salmon Fluorocarbon Leader Fishing Line:

20 lb cost with shipping for 100m ( 110y) is $ 12.50.

FC sinking rate is like intermediate ca. 1.5'/sec

20 lb Seaguar has diameter ( 0.0155") = to the real diameter ( not advertised !!!) of 15 lb Maxima (0.016"), while 17 lb Seaguar diameter ( 0.014") is essentially the same as real ( 0.015") diameter of 12 lb Maxima Ch..

20 lb Seaguar has the same stiffness as 15 lb Maxima Chameleon
What do you do when you hang up, just hope the 20# is what breaks?

·
Dom
3,146 Posts
Its is common to think #15 Maxima is the upper limit you want to run so that line is not stressed when on full blown out snag. Im not sure if anything changed in this department due to manufacturers switching to braid like cores vs dacron times.

Im at 3' for my sinking tip/line.

·
Banned
501 Posts
What do you do when you hang up, just hope the 20# is what breaks?
20 lb tippet , even with Lefty loop, will break around 17 lb.

I would not even try to have 15 lb for a fresh wild Skeena Steelhead when it takes a fly often violently.......

Have yet to see a breakage beyond 20 lb tippet.

In tributaries a 15 lb if fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts