Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dom
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fishing skagit lines for several years now and while its a great tool for higher flows, deeper and slower presentations, sometimes I find myself fishing skinny water where skagit is simply too splashy and dont provide as much control.

Been considering getting into short bellies. How much more or less grains for short belly one would determine if lets say my rod casts 480gr skagit (deep loading).

Rod is Scott ARC 1196/4 (11'9", 6 weight). Intended use with long mono leaders and more traditional flies tied on various weight singles.

Few lines I am considering:

Airflo Delta 6/7 470gr, 50.5' head (already have one)
Delta II 6/7 460gr, 46' head
Rio short spey 6wt 430gr, 40' head

Advice or input before I buy yet more lines that wont work would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nextcast

The Nextcast FF or WA 45 cast very nice on my rods, but I'm not sure which one your rod would take. On my T&T 1307 I cast the 6/7 for touch and go type casting. If you could find some to try would be the best. Nextcast also has a 35' models as well but I have not cast them. Good luck on you search.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Been fishing skagit lines for several years now and while its a great tool for higher flows, deeper and slower presentations, sometimes I find myself fishing skinny water where skagit is simply too splashy and dont provide as much control.

Been considering getting into short bellies. How much more or less grains for short belly one would determine if lets say my rod casts 480gr skagit (deep loading).

Rod is Scott ARC 1196/4 (11'9", 6 weight). Intended use with long mono leaders and more traditional flies tied on various weight singles.

Few lines I am considering:

Delta II 6/7 460gr, 46' head

Rio short spey 6wt 430gr, 40' head

Advice or input before I buy yet more lines that wont work would be greatly appreciated.
350 grains is what I liked on that rod. The Ballistic Vector 4/5/6 is what I recommend.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I like all three of those lines- the 40+, the WA and the Ballistic vector. Not sure which weight on your Scott though. Poppy's always a good call.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Then you should try it first. If too long/heavy remove 3' in the middle and test again. If still too heavy cut another 3' closer to the tip. You can also remove rear taper to make head lighter. If it becomes too light weld cut section to the thickest section of the belly.

Esa

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
if you are fishing in low water conditions, I assume you are using a floating system - I would think that your standard Skagit belly with a tapered floating tip and longish leader will have no more adverse splashy effects that a short belly line - you might consider stepping down a gran wt. if you already have the Skagits - not to say it isn't fun to try other systems

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Domantas - I owned that rod and 350 grains is what I like on it. The GPS is my favored speyline and the 4/5 was the one for the 1196/4. The Ballistic Vector 4/5 is my recommendation.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Im a nextcast fan as well and the 35' fall fav. if you don't want to use standard tips...or the w.a. if you do is a great line...i think of them as scandi's on steroids..very powerful..with the 35' heads though look for the grain weight you want not the number..for some reason on just the 35' heads the numbers haven't made sense..

·
Dom
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for help. Nextcast is head only offer right?

Forgot to mention... I am looking for full integrated line. After few years of fishing and experimenting with heads I came to the conclusion that I adore integrated lines. Fishing great lakes means some swings are in close on smaller tribs. I use SA integrated skagits with tips chopped and looped for T11 for steel and T14 for my upcoming chinook BC trip. These SA skagits are VERY VERY good skagit lines.

Vector 4/5/6 huh... yet one more in the list.

·
Registered
249 Posts
40+ 9 wt. if you want a real finesse presentation.
Yeah! I use this on my Scott 1206 LS2. The strangest thing I found is you can put short sink tips on the end and still cast just fine. Otherwise I use a 10 to 12 foot leader. This line I'm surprised is more versatile then you think. I would use this over a 45' head any day.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The ballistic Vector is an excellent suggestion and the new Vector XL (stretched version) should be considered. enjoy the Spey Journey, SPG

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you all for help. Nextcast is head only offer right?

Forgot to mention... I am looking for full integrated line.

Vector 4/5/6 huh... yet one more in the list.
If you want a full line, the Vector should be a good choice. I like Rio's Short Head Spey too.

Have you tried the the Delta?

If you can bring yourself to fish heads, I'd recommend the Beulah Aero head. I've been playing with it, and just recently added two more sizes. SGS's extended scandi is another super nice head. I'm guessing Steve can add a running line to it and make it a integrated line.

briansII

1 - 16 of 16 Posts