Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in the surf messing with a shooting head tonight. after 20min or so of casting I realized the front 2-3ft of my shooting line was really twisted up and kinking if I let the tension off it. I'm using that Climax Zip flat shooter #30. My first thought was to try to integrate a barrel swivel into it some how, but decided it probably wasn't the best idea.

Any thoughts?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should have mentioned that I was casting a shooting head on a 2 hander, trying to manage a double with no current to get a feel for the head/rod combo. The wind was really kicking though (15-20mph coming head on a bit from the left)making some really odd looking loops as they came off the rod.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
making some really odd looking loops as they came off the rod
There you go :hihi:

What type of connection do you have from running line to fly line? What are you using for your running line?

-sean

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Another possibility (slightly more remote) is that you have too much line stripped off the reel. If you are not shooting all your running line, each cast will introduce some twist. Whether or not that would migrate down to the head junction... Stranger things have happened.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sean said:
There you go :hihi:

What type of connection do you have from running line to fly line? What are you using for your running line?

-sean
I run the running line through the loop on the head, and nail knot it to itself, then make an over hand with the main line and the tag. Using Climax Zip flat #30.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Philster said:
Another possibility (slightly more remote) is that you have too much line stripped off the reel. If you are not shooting all your running line, each cast will introduce some twist. Whether or not that would migrate down to the head junction... Stranger things have happened.
I think it would. The shooling line is lighter and easier to twist than the heavier shooting head. So the shooting line will try and untwist and the head will not. (Or at least not as much.)

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I may be invisioning that wrong...

So you just have the head and running line connected by just passing the end of line though the loop and then nail knotit together. Like two rings linked together?

If so I would be wary of using that connection. and I can see why it would twist some.

Try using a loop-loop connection and put a surgeons loop in the running line. This is simple and very strong. Also gives a good link between the running line and fly line that does not hinge too badly.

You could also try going to 50lb flat mono like rios. Stills shoots a mile but has a little more bulk to it and that may help as well.

-sean

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
wave action. walk out farther....no...a little farther..... a little more.......

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Couple of thoughts here. First, if you have/using a hook with an off set point, you'll get line twist (you'll see same in your leader first) as the hook appears to want to 'rotate' as you're stripping in. Second thought is, even if you're not using an off set hook, I've got 'times and places' where I'm almost required to put a swivel in my leader to keep this from happening. :eek:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
It might of already been mentioned above but I didn't see it. If you are using a roll cast pick up you need to do a reverse roll cast every few casts to counteract the twisting. If you do a google search on shooting heads and the casting thereof you should find some info on this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts