Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scandi & Skagit Hack
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the question, this fall I started out my 13 year old grandson with the two handed rod. I am not sure which type of shooting line would be best for a kid to start out with.
Myself, I bought just about every type and tried them all out. Then decided what I liked the best, but that took awhile to get it all straightened out.
So I pose this question to you THCI out there(or instructors in General). What is the best type of shooting line for kids and why?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think it best to get them one of the easier handled lines that have no memory, float, are thick enough to hold on to easily.

Airflo 30lb ridged comes to mind.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I bought just about every type and tried them all out. Then decided what I liked the best,
If you have some of the above left let him try some of them and see if any of them suit him.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Rich, I'm not an instructor, but I taught my daughter to cast single-handed speys when she was also 13. She learned using the running line on the Royal Wulff Ambush and a 9.5 5 weight. I would agree with something thick that is easy to hold. I find it harder myself to get used to the thin-diammeter stuff: can only imagine what it will do to a young anglers hands!

Vic.

·
btree
270 Posts
If you have any old fly lines kicking around, you can just lop off the head and use the rest of the line as a running line. I've never purchased a running line and likely never will since every time I have a full line that gets worn out, I can just cut off the head and away I go.

Now with a full spey line, I get a nice length to use, probably around 80-100ft. But with single handed lines I only get ~50ft or so. Not enough for big water, but certainly more than enough for a beginner, or smaller water.

The price is right, it's easy to handle, and it's a great ego boost to see all your shooting line disappear (even if it's only 50ft).

That, and with a new caster, the focus should be on having fun, learning the techniques and developing muscle memory. Shooting for distance should be far from the focus.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Steve Godshall (Meiser rods) built the line for my son's rod (he is 8) and it works great. We have only done casting practice so far. Nice thing about Steve is you can tell him what is on your mind and he can translate it into a line. He is a great guy. With my son's rod and my rod I guess we are up to 6 of his lines now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lines for kids

I have two nephews that I have been taking with me. They have 12'6' Rainshadow spey rods, 6 wt. I had the rods built by a friend. I lined them up with Ambush lines for 6 wt. and they cast beautifully, so much so, that I wish I had the same rod/line combination sometimes. They are 11 and 13 now but I started them two years ago. The older boy is tall and slim and casts well. The younger is pretty short so he has a bit more difficulty but can cast up to about 50 feet. That's good enough to get on fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts