Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was whondering that how many of You use shooting heads in spey casting? Do You make your own lines?

I just made one for my 15´ rod ,the line works very well. I took my old 12-13 line spey line, took the 9 meters for that belly, then I took 3,5 meters of 11# Loop Adapted intermediate line and in front of that I used 1,5 meters of no:2 sinking from 8# line.
So now I have shooting head that I can spey cast and I can correct that line( if I want to make small pockets) while that fly is fishing! The problem whit windcutters tip system is that those loop really sucks :tsk_tsk: , This shooting head doesn´t have any loops! Have You tryed these kind of things alot?

I use this method in my singlehand rods as well.

Thinght lines!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Shooting Heads

Dear FinnFly,

I use the Loop Adapted Lines on an 8126-3 and a 9141-4 for approximately one half of my fishing.

In complex water--or on smaller rivers--I use a Rio WindCutter modified for Underhand casting (see earlier thread "Rio Lines for Underhand Casting").

I am not sure what generation WindCutter you have, but the loop-to-loop connection on the latest Rio WindCutter line is considerably smaller than the loops of old. I have had zero problems.

It has been a few years since I visited Helsinki on my way to Kola. I particularly enjoyed the architecture, the friendly people, and expected to 'run into' Mika Hakkinen around every turn!

Best regards,

TB

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think that the loops are bad because they cause a dead spot in the head/line. It ruins the continuum of the cast.

Btw, I'm also a line cutter and use these multispeed sinking heads with no loops in the middle. Mostly my heads are made from shooting heads or DTs.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Dead Spot???

sms - welcome to the board.

If the connections are made right and the right weight sections are used, I have found no dead spots. For example, I cut my RIO midsey at factory specs and put in braided loops and can see absolutely no difference in how the line plerforms. Also the right weight sink tips work fine.

Also Fred uses poly leaders on a mono section off the line. You would think that would hinge badly, but he roports it works fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think the dead spots' effect and visibilty are propably dependent on the casting method and even more on the caster's skills. If the caster is fairly experienced, the dead spots may not occur as they might with a less experienced caster.

I mostly use a cast which is quite near the Andersson's underhand cast. I think that's a cast that doesn't really like dead spots. I've tried some with lines with dead spots (tried both: too loose part and too stiff in the middle) and they give a wobbly feeling and a wavy front cast. Too much stiffnes isn't as bad by a mile as too much looseness.

Even though I don't like loops in my heads, I use them a lot but somewhere else:

Actually I have a total of eight (yes, eight) loops in my line while fishing.
1st&2nd: tippet to head (this actually helps loading by better anchoring of the tippet by allowing an angle to form)
3rd&4th: head to dacron loop
5th&6th: dacron loop to shooting line
7th&8th: shooting line to backing

The loops from 3rd to 6th and the whole dacron loop are nasty in casting if the rod tip doesn't move properly and the line gets even a tad of loose. After the forward stroke has began, those don't matter as they are straightened almost immediately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts