Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have a good recipe for fast sinking shooting heads suitable for spey or underhand casting??

I fish the Bella Coola and am presently using 25 feet of LC13 connected to a cutback WF44SL 9 wt floating line. I left about 15 ft of the back taper and belly, the combination casts well up to 70-75 ft. which is plenty for the Coho fishing here.

Is anyone out there using sink tips of 20-24 ft , 400-600 grain connected to a similar system as described above?

I will listen to any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
heads

i have used the bigboy 24ft 400 from Rio.actualy used it on the Rio Grande for browns. i had a guy hook a fish behind me when i was using a 190 rio tip in a deeper slot.so iput on the bigboy and caught a 17lb behind him!they work fine if you take off the front two sections of the windcutter.
beau

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a 600 grain 30 ft. shooting head on my Sage 10151 in the surf with a Rio .030 running line. Probably doesn't have any use on rivers, or would it?Capt.Carl

·
Registered
459 Posts
Capt Carl

Thats the type of set up I need to convert to for the great lakes surf fishing (Lake Michigan). Will be developing that over the winter. How far can you cast or throw that set up ?

I don't think I need that for our rivers out here though, which are smaller in width than PNW rivers for the most part.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
With all the planets in line and all things perfect I can get 100+ feet with 120 my best ever.
The biggest problem is a stripping basket that is big enough for all the running line. I found a Rubbermaid mop bucket that works and can wear it around my waist. Fun casting from shore and geting as far as my friends who are waist deep! My hope is to do a trip to some of the great rivers up north. My wife might have a business trip to Vancouver in Feb. If that is a season that is still fishable. What do you catch from shore on the Great Lakes?Capt.Carl

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Loop Adapted Lines

You should consider the Loop shooting head systems. The Swedes do alot of shooting head casting, both Underhand speycasts and overhead. They found that 30' heads weren't quite enough, so they have went to longer ones in the 40' range. I do believe their Adapted Line system has heads that vary according to the rod used - hence the "Adapted" moniker.

I used a Loop set-up this summer in the surf of Cape Cod. It was the 13' Loop Green with the full sinking type VI head. I used a stripping basket for the small diameter shooting line and fired the rig waaaaaay out into the Atlantic. As the striper thing is a stripping game I pretty much stuck to an overhead cast. I would roll out the head until I had it to the firing point then picked it up and with one backcast launched it - it was great fun!

If I were living where I wanted to fish the surf this is without question the way I would go. As for using them in rivers the Scandinavians do it all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts