Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I am not repeating anybody, but I bought a couple of Loop scandinavian shooting heads but they seem a bit "short." I am trying to underhand cast and they either have no power in the Loop because I am trying to get the leader to touch down or they go blowing by me. I read somewhere that I need some special leader, is that true? and what about if I use tips? and what about with a full sink head (I thought we want short leaders for that)? Sorry for the barrage of questions. I have too much time to think and not enough to come up with answers on my own

·
Registered
517 Posts
Loop produce two type of shooting hat . I recommend custom II. With it is only one problem that they mark them by letters to know weight you need scale.
Scandinavian anglers who almost use only shooting had have a lot of experience with it. Generally they use polileaders .
For example for 15’rod you need shooting hat 11,5-12,5m 9’ polilider . For Floating line with 9’ intermediate polileader you need tippet 9-10’.
When you use sinking line with sinking polileader you go down with length of tippets up to about 5’.
It is one of possibilities. Scierra for example recommends for 15’ rod 15’polilider with only 3’ tippet. On their web side you can find exact information.
It is true for faster rod. For more traditional rod normally I use to only monofilament leader.
Length of leader also depend on depth of wading and size of fly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts