Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally find running lines fitted with shooting-heads less tiring when covering water with limited backcasting room. Notice that Rio offering relatively short shooting heads (12-15 ft). Questions: Are tips needed with these heads? Do these relatively short shooting heads offer enough "anchor" to effectively load shorter rods? What other running line-shooting line combinations recommended by readers who also like to shoot casts from tight banks. Will be using floating and intermediate heads on Loop Green 13' 2" 9 wt. Thanks in advance for any help given.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know the Rio heads, and I bet there will be more on the market from other manufaturers as well. The main thing is to find a system that is balanced to your rod, and to be willing to learn a little something new in your cast. I've been using the Loop heads with the Loop rods for a few years and they certainly work well for me.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The RIO 15 foot heads are really sink tips to be looped to the belly of a line or longer floating shooting head. What you want to get are the Loop Adapted Heads or RIO's Scandanavian Shooting Head for 2-handers. RIO is also going to have a Skagit style shooting head line on the market later this year.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
The Airflo heads are really nice. They come in 3 lengths, 28', 35', and 45'. There are 4 densities-floating, intermediate,
DI3 sink (3 ins/sec), and DI7 sink (7 ins/sec), and the line weights are 7 thru 12. The Airflo coated running line comes in floating-.030 &.035 and intermediate-.024 & .030 and is available with or without a large loop on one end.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
just tryed a homebuilt setup tonight,,,chopped a ten weight tarpon , worked better in the pasture!!!,how would you compare cobra to amnesia???...for running line...or...?..i'm mostly using this settup for distance overhead casting,and shooting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the suggestion of several responders, recently purchased Loop's Adapted running line and two shooting heads, the low-floating and clear intermediate. What a difference! Matches Green Loop 13'2" 9/10 wt very nicely. Loop line makes shooting to respectable "fishing" distances now quite easy. Guess I should have known maker of rod would also make compatible lines, but I needed to try home-made approach first to convince myself high cost of lines worth investment. Thanks to all for valuable advice.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
glad to hear that you like the Adapted lines, Lefthander! I've done a tiny bit of steelheading in the Great Lakes and have talked with several fellows who fish there a lot and it seems to me that head systems could prove to have a lot of applications in the Great Lakes fishery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to previously mention that I bought all three tips with the floating and clear intermediate shooting heads. Haven't yet had chance to try out system under "field" conditions, but am heading up to New Brunswick (Little Southwest Miramichi) end of this month for trial run!

Thanks again for all responses. This webpage and its readership are truly great sources of extremely helpful information.

Regards to all, Lefthander

1 - 9 of 9 Posts