Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain what is be communicated by : (1) 10, 8-11, 5m 8/9 floating head, 27-29 gram; and (2) 11, 2-12 m 9/10 floating head = 0,30 m, sinking head = 32-34 grams. I realize that the first is calling for an 8/9 floating shooting head of 27-29 grams, but don’t have a clue what the remainder means. I noticed from the Loop site and the Vision site that it may have something to do with length of the head for various densities. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah, sorry, reading it wrong. You've put commas and spaces instead of decimal points. It should read:
(1) 10.8 - 11.5m 8/9 Floating head 27 - 29g.
ie if the 8/9 floating head is cut at 10.8m it should weigh 27g and if it was cut a bit longer at 11.5m it would weigh 29g which makes sense

(2) 11.2 - 12m 9/10 floating head = 0,30 m, sinking head = 32-34 grams doesn't make so much sense to me as I don't understand the = 0.30m, sinking head part. :confused: Where did you get this info?

Have a look at guidelineflyfish.com/english-edition/index.html and select "flylines - tippets" > "shooting heads" and scroll down a bit to the cutting chart. It explains it quite nicely.
Hope this helps, though I bet someone like Jacob could answer better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spec's are for the sage TCR 8123-4 from an article written by the designer of the TCR spey rods (Mr. Van Dam who consulted with Jerry Simms of Sage). The article can be found on www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/content/lelandadmin/Templates/p/p1686.htm The home page is Leland Fly Fishing Outfitter (www.flyfishingoutfitters.com ) The article describes the Sage TCR spey rods in detail and gives the lines the rods were designed for. The commas are correct. I suspect they are use commas in Europe in place of a “.”

·
Registered
68 Posts
Makes perfect sense when you read the article. They say to use 0.30m shorter heads for a sinking head which explains the 0.30m bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts