Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi iam new to this site and was wondering about the rio scandinavian versi tip shooting heads are these a good line for the big man here in michigan and would you suggest using the rio slick shooter 115 foot runing line in 35 or 50 # for the shooting heads thanks again and tight lines

brownie1013 <'}}}}>~~~<

·
Registered
869 Posts
they do shoot amazingly far once you get the weight right. this is done by cutting back the rear end of the head. the problem i found is that the running line is thin and is hard to mend at a distance. i am using the rio .035 floating running line. if it's distance you need they are great but for fishing, swinging situations the mending is misrable.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Brown Trout / Nick,
This discussion came up on another thread, I'll have to find it. Heads with spey rods are a little different than heads with a single handed rod. They are the prefered line choice for many European anglers especially the ones casting underhanded. I have talked with those who like them and will argue that mending them is no problem when swinging. They describe a different mending technique where the mend is performed on a tighter line. Mortensen also shows some of this in "The perfect cast". I have yet to try the Scand heads but I'm sure someone will come along and post their experiences. If I can find the original thread I'll post a link.

Gillie

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I would use the Airflo polyshoot XT for your running line. It seems to have a lot less memory than the slick shooter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It’s funny you should bring this up while I’m sorting through my shooting heads for my other rods. Our rivers are a bit hi and I’m up against the bank so I need to change to shorter rods. At any rate, I like my Scan head with tips. It has the little sink tip compensator which gets the tips deep. One thing about the Scan heads is that it reduces the work in building one from scratch. Just trim to the weight you like casting with on a particular rod and go fishing. Deciding on the weight of the head may be anywhere from 50 to 150 grains less that the recommended Spey line weight for a particular rod in accordance with its length and action. This decision of weight is purely subjective by your own standards and what you are comfortable with. As far as running line goes, I’ve used the PVC ones and they do help the beginner with turn over in that the friction of .035 line through the guides will pull the head straight before it hit’s the water. 50 pound Slickshooter is the best in that it will last the longest and it has a smaller diameter which reduces friction in the guides. As far as getting rid of memory, you just have to stretch the length of the slickshooter before you start casting. This will erase memory. What pulls the head straight is the tension of getting the running line out of the water. With a stripping basket, it is ridiculous the distances you can achieve. I can almost get 100 feet of the Slickshooter to come out of the basket. Most of my heads are 35 to 45 feet long. But remember, most fish are not out there 150 feet. They are only about 50 off the bank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi

the rod i would be useing is a tfo 12'6" 8 wt which i already have and a old florida no 6 reel till i can pick up a powell spey rod and a house of hardy bougle reel mk5 of course i was thinking about putiing a 7/8 scandinavian versi tip shooting head on it to speed it up and help pull the sink tip off the water easyer and when i get the new set up i will get a new line any ways thanks for the great advise you guys and tight lines

brownie1013 <'}}}}>~~~<

1 - 6 of 6 Posts