Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a floating shooting-head for the Sage TCR 8123-4 that can be used without customization and is available retail ? Thank.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Snowbee

Either the Snowbee Scandi 9/10 or the Hardy mach1 9/10 are perfect.
I have both of them sitting here and would be happy to send you one to try before you buy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Shooting head for TCR 8123-4

We use a 28 to 30 gram shooting head on the 8123-4 (which is an 8/9-weight rod). You can take any 8/9 scandinavian head (Rio, Guideline) and cut them to 29 gram (you have to take only a short piece of the factory lenght, leaving you a line with a lenght between 12.5 and 13 m). Or if you like a shorter head, use a 9/10 Scandinavian head and cut these way back to 29 gram (You will end with a 10,5-11 m head).

I personally use a 8/9 Guideline floating head on the rod and use a Rio sinktip head 9/10 (which is cut to 9,5 m since I use T-14 tips attached to this 'mini' head).

Another good option is to use the factory cut lines from Vision, the 28 gram heads work just fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter. I want to purchase a two floating lines: one with approximately a 50' foot head and the other with around a 44'foot, or shorter, head - both with integrated running line. I simply want to buy the line and go fish. I believe I have the 50' head covered with a Snowbee 1D for a 9/10. It is the 44' head at around 27 to 29 gr. that I can’t seem to obtain without customizing (cutting) a line.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Hardy Heads

The Hardy Mach1 9/10 weights exactly what you are looking for. It comes as a full line with running line and the head attached and is ready to fish as soon as you attach a leader. I even have them on sale this month.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shooting head for 8123 TCR

Hey LCS,

Try the Rio Skagit Line ( 650 Grain ) with one of the of their 15 foot floating tips, I like using the heavier floating tips, say from a 10/11/12 or 11/12/13 windcutter. Lot's of folks think the Skagit Lines are only used for sink tips and by all rights that's what Skagit lines were designed for, however, they are awesome with floating tips. Good luck and tight lines.

All the best,

Chris Andersen
[email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Visions Lines

Does anyone know of a US dealer that carries the Vision ACE Double lines? Specifically, the VAC89F and VAC89S7? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Skagit lines and Rio's floating tips work very well.

Hey LCS,

Try the Rio Skagit Line ( 650 Grain ) with one of the of their 15 foot floating tips, I like using the heavier floating tips, say from a 10/11/12 or 11/12/13 windcutter. Lot's of folks think the Skagit Lines are only used for sink tips and by all rights that's what Skagit lines were designed for, however, they are awesome with floating tips. Good luck and tight lines.

All the best,

Chris Andersen
[email protected]
With the exception of not being able to spell his last name correctly :chuckle: , Chris is a truly valuable source of what Skagit lines and other combinations of Rio tips work or don't work with specific Sage rods.

Chris and I have discussed using the floating tips with the Skagit lines, and my bicep tears have prevented me from trying the floating tips with my Sage 6123 and Skagit 450. Last week, my Physical Therapist, gave me the okay after I convinced him the 6126, the Loop 3W and Skagit lines didn't weigh more than 2#'s.

Yesterday, a friend and I went to a fly club outing on a lake at a local winery. I took my 6126 and 5120 and my Skagit 450 and various Rio Spey lines for both rods.

Due to brush and trees there was zero room for any backcasts. There was minimal wading as the water became head deep in a couple of feet and there was a lot of moss with our usual swirling winds from 5 to 20 MPH. With the wind I decided to use the 6126. At first I used Rio Sinking tips and leaders. I was able to get out a couple rod lengths of running line past my rod tip and chuck some heavy flies out.

Later in the afternoon, I removed the sinking tips/leaders and added the floating tip from my WC 678, a 15' Rio Steelhead leader, a couple of feet of tippet and a medium size floating grasshopper fly. The wind was worse than when we had started which is why I opted for the WC floating tip versus my MS 7/8 floating tip.

In spite of the terrible casting conditions. The 6126 and Skagit 450 performed superbly for an old cripple. It was no problem to shoot 2-3 rod lengths of running line, the 15' WC floating tip, the 15' leader and tippet out on most casts. Also, the floating tip would fall on the water with perfect S's with the leader making good S's on the water.

A couple of times really strong gusts on casts directly into the wind would stop the cast out at about 40 feet and blow the leader back. Cross wind and quartering casts had no blow back problem and often snapped the reel with 3 rod lengths of running line outside the rod tip.

I cast this rig for about an hour with no wind knots and no damage to my old injured right bicep. :)

I will now try heavier floating tips with that rig to try and slice into the wind a little better as per Chris's suggestion.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Good head rod and more

I have working with this rod off and on for a since January.
Having first cast it with George Cook on the Sandy two years ago.
The rod likes to be load real intense and you can really feel the power.

Short line work I have been using a 650 and 550 Skagit style line.
I have used a 10/11/12 Windcutter for a floater.
As curious note I have been testing a 650 UK Long Belly Line with a 78-foot head and it cast like a rocket. Looks kind of neat little rod and great long line streaking out with a loop the size of a pie plate. Granted I doubt that is would every fish this combination but the rod can do it.
:smokin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts