Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering cheapest way to ship to canada called ups talking fly rods around 3 ft they were talking brokerage fees from 30 - 60 on value from 200-600 plus insurance and shipping would be close to 30 on that so that gives u 60 not counting taxes and other fees so what's real world on 3 ft fly rod tube valued at 200 and same size package valued at 600 just guesstimate cheapest way to send include all fees please

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
UPS has an online shipment calculator same as the USPS. I've used both prior to shipping rods to Canada - the total$ are very different. Your customs form is/should be your tracking number. Only thing is that tracking may only visible until Canada Post receives your shipment and I don't know that tracking continues from there. 10 to 12 days in transit and I never had problems in the past with USPS/Canada Post.

·
Registered
153 Posts
brokerage

I ship the other direction and Canada post works well. The brokerage fee is for new only if product is a repair then there should be no brokerage fees. If you are shipping to Canada to pick up yourself and use to save on airline hassle there also should be no brokerage fee. If you are selling the item and it needs to be shipped across the boarder then there are brokerage fees. I have used UPS as they handle all the paper work etc. and I just pay the postman when the item arrives easy. I have always found UPS to be fair and efficient. When I buy from Amazon or from Bob Meiser. I know I do not live there so things may be different for the shipper. Hope this helps from a Canadian point of view.

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
Usps

I always use USPS for Canada. If you're going to insure it you'll need to send it Priority International and if no insurance First Class International. Probably looking at $40 to send a rod insured for $400 via Priority. As noted above...once it hits the Canadian border tracking is not much help.

·
Spey Is The Way
892 Posts
I wouldn't use UPS for anything. I also wouldn't do a deal if the US shipper insisted on UPS. I use Canada Post if I am shipping to the US and request USPS if I am buying from the US.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
USPS is the best carrier; reliable, reasonable costs, no brokerage fees.

Mike

Reactions: fredaevans

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes USPS is the best option. UPS is a scam. I was charged $70 brokerage fee on a used $210 vise I bought off a guy. The driver wouldn't give it to me until I paid him. So I gave him a cheque for it and some how he lost the cheque. I kept getting notices from UPS that I owed them money and that I needed to send payment for these brokerage fees. Finally called to explain that I paid the driver and he wouldn't even give me the package until I paid him and then I never heard another thing. I won't buy off anyone in the US either if they insist on using UPS. There is just no way to know how much the final bill is going to be once it gets here. If you ship with USPS the only thing we as Canadians have to pay on our end is the GST if Canada customs even charges it. From personal experience it seems that anything under about $200 rarely gets taxed. Anything over that and there is usually a GST bill to pay at the post office when you go pick it up.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Anything over $20 is applied both taxes and applicable duties. Even used items are subject to the aforementioned. The odd time you get away with it like my last reel I got from Allen but all my rods have been subject to the toll

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anything over $20 is applied both taxes and applicable duties. Even used items are subject to the aforementioned. The odd time you get away with it like my last reel I got from Allen but all my rods have been subject to the toll

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
I have NEVER paid what you mentioned using USPS( believe me, lots of transactions besides fishing stuff.) One time the seller shipped an item by UPS that was Made in the USA. It arrived with duties, brokerage fees, taxes and fuel surcharges. When I mentioned to the driver under the Free Trade Agreement between our countries for anything made in the states, there are no duties, he refused to release the goods unless I paid it in full and told me to take it up with their head office. It has never happened with USPS

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have used USPS for a lot of purchases from the USA. Never got insurance and never had problems. There could be mishaps of course I recognize that. Tracking numbers were also no problem right to the door. I would recommend usps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
USPS is the only way to go. Any of the courier-type services charge insane rates. As said earlier, fees and brokerage can equal the cost of the goods. Canadians close to the border can use one of the drop/ship services. Guys like me that are 150 miles north are pretty much hooped. We pay.
$200 u.s. Ross reel= $85 ship, handling and fees
$350 z-axis from Alaska, $25 US post only
$225 rod, $85 sh&h, post.
Canada post charges a $10 Cdn. handling fee for anything they have to collect$$ for upon delivery.
Combine the fees with the lower Cdn. $$ and US purchases are few and far between these days!!
Fortunately, the are some "misses" that help the bottom line!

Sending to the US is easier and seldom costs $45 for a 4 pce. rod or $25 for a reel.

·
193 Posts
my .02 worth

Having bought items over the last 15 years, I can attest that United States Postal Service/Canada Post is the least expensive way to ship. Have never had a problem either way.

Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
678 Posts
Same as everyone else here - no issues with USPS and Canada Post.

UPS and similar carriers, on the other hand, were bandits, in my opinion.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for clearing that up looks like USPS slam dunk if u have stock in ups better sell it now mite take a hit

1 - 20 of 32 Posts