1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
To europe, specifically sweden, I have paid over $100 to ship fed ex. Canada not so much but it gets spendy overseas with faster shipping and insurance.

-sean

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
It depends

It depends a lot on how long the thing is. If going to UK or Japan from the US and over 54" you have to go UPS and it costs about $120. If you can stay short enough to be in postal regs for the country you are going to it is usually closer to $10 or $12 for airmail.

·
Registered
913 Posts
"Shipping Cost Services Available Available to
US $35.95 Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service United States only
US $129.50 Expedited Int'l Flat Rate Shipping Canada, Australia "

I have just sold a 13' two hander and my shipping costs in the US by USPS were $12.00 and that incuded insurance and signature confirmation. I had a couple of people ask how much to ship to Canada(i put in the add Canada and international shipping at cost) and again through USPS it was $19.00 inc ins and sig confirmation.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Remember this is from E-Bay. The seller can charge you anything you "he' wants. One of the few times I 'won' on e bay I failed to see the 'shipping charge.':saeek:

Price for my wining bid? About $16.00. Price seller wanted for shipping? $9.00. Weight of my winnings? About 1.75 oz.

Contacted the seller when I found out I'd won and to contact him vis a vis payment. That's when I found out about the shipping fee. Stupid me paid. Never again.

Why shipping fee so high? Because that's were a lot of these clowns make the extra buck or two (or three or five or ...) over the winning bid. The bid they can't control; the shipping fee they can stick it to you.

·
Spey junkie!
158 Posts
Shipping on Ebay

Yeah, I'm always careful to check the shipping when I'm looking at something on Ebay. The shipping prices can be rediculous, but I learned from a woman I worked with why.

Ebay takes a cut of the price of the item, but not from the shipping and handling so some seller's charge high shipping and a low item cost. For example, I bought a cell phone case for $.99 with $7 shipping. I got the case in a used padded envelop in a ziplock bag! The postage was around $1!

Didn't know how expensive it could be to ship a spey with sections longer than 54'. Too high for me!

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks lads.
I do the bay from time to time and also am careful to watch the S/H fee's. I didnt put thi on here to slam the seller,, just wanted to know if the fee is legit as i couldnt find a fee that large in any of the postal references i have.
The rod will probably end up being less than the shipping :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Obviously this guy is insane and in reality he probably doesn't want to ship to Canada but in order to avoid the flood of questions a person gets when listing an item on ebay about "will he ship to Canada" he just puts an outrageous price on the shipping.

I do a bit of selling on ebay and this is a sensitive subject for me, I'm sure I'm about to open a big can of worms here but here is the reality of selling on ebay (for those who don't know)

I recently sold a camera body on ebay, the final bid was $630 and the shipping fee was $14.80 for a total of $644.80. The ebay fees for using there service were $18.95, this buyer used Paypal and for that service they charged me $19, shipping for which I tack on an extra $2 for handling which in all honestly is just to cover some of the fees was $12.80. So out of the final $644.80 I end up with $594.05.

I don't do this for a business I just sell off unused items to pay for my fly flinging habit. however I once sold more than $600 in a month and was forced by Paypal to upgrade to a business account for which they collect fees

I saw someone above talking about buying something on ebay for $1 and $7 shipping, The absolute cheapest you could list a $1 item on ebay for is .40 or they get 40% of the sale and if you payed with Paypal they would get .32 so now ebay and paypal (both the same company by the way) have 72% of the sale. Is it any wonder that someone would try to recoup some of the money from a probably $20 cell phone case through shipping fees?

Now check this out. I sold a knife through ebay recently and the buyer paid me with Paypal the total came to $65 and there were ebay and Paypal fees, he opted not to purchase the optional insurance I shipped the knife USPS Priority Mail and have a delivery confirmation number, it got lost in the mail and Paypal refunded his money??? and they also never gave me back my Paypal fees. And they told me that he probably got the knife and the USPS didn't handle the delivery correctly but without proof of delivery I was out of luck. Now you tell me how can I get proof of delivery if the USPS doesn't do there job? So according to paypal the fees they collect only from the seller (all transactions are free to buyers) that provide there income they don't do a thing to protect there bread and butter, the guy had the option of purchasing insurance for pete's sake and didn't. OK, thank you I've vented now.

Ebay and Paypals current fee structure is forcing Sellers to get there money from shipping fees I hadn't been adding that much to my auctions but now that I'm out a knife and $65 I will no longer be so charitable in my shipping charges and I won't be accepting Paypal any longer. The good news is I won't be getting near as much for my items because of it (great system eh!).

This wasn't meant to flame or upset anybody I just think that the other side needs a voice on this matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts