Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been spey casting for a few years and I've found lines that I like with each one of my rods but I've done through the process of trial and error. I'm trying to figure out how you guys figure out what head length and weight (grains) correspond to certain rods. I don't know if that made any sense but I just can't grasp how one goes about figuring what rod and grain weight match up correctly. What is the correlation? Does any of what I said make sense?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
We all do it

That seems to be the nature of spey rods and lines. Getting the right line on the first try is as much a hazzard to fortune as shopping for a mail-order bride. In fact, the issue of what line works best on which rod seems to be the most popular topic on the Spey Pages.

For that reason, somebody has probably opined on what's best for your rod. Search the Archives, by all means. Next, use spey claves to try various lines, as well as for the instruction and fellowship. And if you already have a preference for a short, mid-length, or long-belly line, you can probably find a good match within that line category.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Line matching

Each caster has their own style and preferences for line lengths. Getting an opinion from someone else on what line to use with a particular rod is still just a starting point. Buying and trying can be an expensive proposition as you may try many lines before you find the right one. Try attending one of the Spey Claves and make it a point to try as many lines as you can that way you will find the right line for you without breaking the bank.
Tried using lines suggested by others and also borrowed lines from friends now I tend to try before I buy.

Ian

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
it's tough!

and with the manufacturers redesignating their `old' lines and new lines coming out on the market i'd sure hate to try and tell anybody what to buy,shops like the Redshed have tryout lines,my suggestion would be to get a mid length belly in two or even three ratings then compare those back to back,,,find a big feild, cast all three lines out,one at a time,laying each out with room between them,to the side,slip the but end in thru the tip down to the ground,pull in to the end of the belly then just cast one after the other and back to back ,that's what did,i'm not saying that's the ultimate way,casting with somone who's completely familar with `your' rod would be the best,hmmm,is the problem that you have an overlined rod?,it can't handle the line wt?,i'll use one rod i have in particular for an example,i have two lines i prefer on the piece one is a thick line for turning over heavy tips / offerrings up to say,,90ft,,another is a lighter wt. line (used dry/no tips)that really makes the rod `zippy' you can just lean into the forward drive all the way thru,makes the rod two different rods really,the `heavy' line you absolutly must slow down or the line will crash in a heap,even though i'm amazed at what lead.bugs hooks,,:hihi: the rod will haul with the `fat line'it's two different strokes,if the rod is underlined it's quite evident,if you're new and struggling with an overlined rod it will drive you insane,then you'll be like me:smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
o-k

i'm actually in a hurry here to get to bed but i see i din't read your post very well,i won't go back on it because i meant what a stated and if a person is isolated ,,it might help them out,,i used the Wullf lines to shake down my older sticks,i'm not saying they're good,bad,or anything,but i was able to put several of them together in a range of ratings,thus,the comparison's became evident instantly=too light.too heavy,,just right!,,it's like goldie locks and the three bears(and their porridge) really,but you need to set a standard, a benchmark,create a scale to judge for yourself what feels good,then elaborate on that,it doesn't matter what line you use,,but jumping from brand to brand,and dif. head lengths `may not' be a simple as one dedicated model of line in dif ratings,another tactic i've used is cast a DT line,when you're casting more than what feels good without shooting anything into the cast,strip it back in,mark it,cut it off!!!(tie on running line of choice) thats'what the rod `wants'so,you're done:smokin: of course if the rod blank is `going out of round' or feels like it's broken in the reelseat area with consistence= you ARE overloaded!!!,i've done me best to help lad,;) ,goodnight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts