Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to hear opinions on which style of hook people prefer for swinging for trout. I see many flies specific to trout Spey tied on shanks. I tied and fished mostly this style this past season, but there are some trade offs in my view.

I think a wide gaped conventional streamer hook keels the fly very well, and keeps it properly oriented during the presentation. Also, stingers extended far behind the back of the shank tend to swing out of position for hookups and increase the change of fouling with materials.

I notice fish getting hooked in the side of the face and around the eyes much more frequently when fishing stinger hooks. This of course is a concern for the health of the fish, but also brings into question whether or not rear hook placement is even advantageous when swinging for trout.

I’d love to hear others thoughts on what they like to use.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I use shanks, but rig old school. I can keep the hook further forward. I tie my flies to keel themselves with material placement.
I’d fish a traditional streamer hook before fishing a shank with a loop long enough to change out hooks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I use shanks, but rig old school. I can keep the hook further forward. I tie my flies to keel themselves with material placement.
I’d fish a traditional streamer hook before fishing a shank with a loop long enough to change out hooks.
I agree, I don’t like hook changeable length loops. Plus this type will foul up around eye of hook time to time, especially on the 15-20 mm shanks. Wire has a better chance of keeping true over a supple material like fire line , but it’s happened with wire too. Just all dependent on what style bugs on the menu.

·
Registered
R.B. Meiser, Pieroway, Loop
278 Posts
I use both tubes and shanks. Like it was said above, with tubes, hooks are always where you want them to be. With shanks I use silicone tubing (1.5mm ID x 2.5mm OD) over a braided loop. It’s the best of all worlds imo, easy to swap out a hook, no worries of wire breaking and the hook is always where you want it to be just like a tube.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use shanks and streamers. On my shanks I keep the stinger pretty close tho. Overall, I haven’t noticed any difference in hook ups. Shanks, streamers, tubes all have their place. Just another pallet to build upon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As longtime trout-fly tier when I started to spey, naturally I began looking at spey flies. The shank flies were novel to me and look so cool and are made for spey fishing. Of course, I began tying a few different patterns. But I admit I don't fish them much for the reasons mentioned.

I think there is room for some in a trouter's box, particularly with a short leash. Honestly, do any of you trout fishermen change hooks? I can't see a practical need for this.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As longtime trout-fly tier when I started to spey, naturally I began looking at spey flies. The shank flies were novel to me and look so cool and are made for spey fishing. Of course, I began tying a few different patterns. But I admit I don't fish them much for the reasons mentioned.

I think there is room for some in a trouter's box, particularly with a short leash. Honestly, do any of you trout fishermen change hooks? I can't see a practical need for this.
Nope, don’t change hooks at all. I don’t tie shanks w/ stingers to change hooks, but when I want to tie a pattern with a longer tail or a few different materials at the back end. I have only a handful of these type patterns that I like. Plus, it’s fun trying new things,

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nope, don’t change hooks at all. I don’t tie shanks w/ stingers to change hooks, but when I want to tie a pattern with a longer tail or a few different materials at the back end. I have only a handful of these type patterns that I like. Plus, it’s fun trying new things,
Fun trying new things, my favorite response❤

·
AJS Reels
598 Posts
Tubes first with a bullet head I machine myself from brass, top producer and consistent hookup next to none foul hooking. Then a hook....no shanks in my boxes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts