Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by Aaron's recent and beautiful Spectral Spider I came up with this Spectral effort.

Main ingredient for the wing is Finn Raccoon: Pink-Red-Orange-Yellow(ish)-Green-Blue-Purple (in order)
Shoulder is purple schlappen (a variation, for sure)
Body is dubbed pearl blue Lite-Brite palmered with light blue saddle hackle.

It should fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much appreciated, Pard!

It doesn't have the elegance of Aaron's Spectral Spider but it does have kind of a Lauren Bacall-like sultriness to it that should entice a hot-to-trot big buck, don't you think?

Cruddy picture, however.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's another photo: Perhaps better (BTW, no scotch was spilled in the snapping of this photo)

Todd, I also tied one up on a Daiichi 2441 1/0. I think this would fish nicely and sink well on your dry line irons.

Attachments

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Hi Keith,

I really like that! I have gravitated toward this type of fly for much of my fishing. If I were to add just one thing I would have a cheek of JC on that........ Matter of fact I just might do just that :)

Beauty; thanks,

Ard

·
Administrator
19,229 Posts
Great dressing Keith !!
I like Ard's idea of adding JC nails though .
This will hunt well for you ... or Todd ... or anyone else you would care to swap with :roll:
Glad you didn't spill any Scotch :)

Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Wished you warned me to put on my sun glasses.

Inspired by Aaron's recent and beautiful Spectral Spider I came up with this Spectral effort.

Main ingredient for the wing is Finn Raccoon: Pink-Red-Orange-Yellow(ish)-Green-Blue-Purple (in order)
Shoulder is purple schlappen (a variation, for sure)
Body is dubbed pearl blue Lite-Brite palmered with light blue saddle hackle.

It should fish.
Love to see that working water.

fae

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
That will fish for sure. The fly has balance and cant beat the colors.

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Sweet fly, Keith. That one will swim, oh, so beautifully! I might have to steal one this winter.:saevilw:

Merry Christmas, my friend,

Tony

·
Undertaker
1,368 Posts
well done

Lovely winter fly - and like many others, I have found that the trailing hook hooks best. But I too would like to see that fly swimming. My concern is that by placing the hook point up, the fly may tend to ride upside down. My guess is that the drag caused by the wing would cause to to ride right. You might give it a test and let us know.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks steel,

The hook is attached in what I think is point down (opposite the up-turned eye). I've found when I tie in the wing "under" the fly that it fishes with the hook point up. Fewer snag ups that way. Or it generally works that way for me.

I hope it works with this one.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I'm gonna miss fishing with you boys in the morning. Tony, tell me if Keith outfishes you with this pattern. I suppose there's enough mojo with your crew that everyone will hook a steelhead.

Happy New Year, fellows!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts