Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a Shakespeare Fly Combo at Walmart, so far I like it, I got a little bite yesterday, probably was an bream. People say you need very expensive fly stuff, so far the cheap stuff is doing quite well.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Roger That!

One of (and I still think about that rod and reel) was a 'dirt cheepo."

Won't tell you how I busted the rod/reel (4+ degrees doen't stop you from doing very, very stupid things ... sigh); still think about that 6wt rod. Never used a better rod, it knew all of my fobles and weakness, and it caught fish after fish.

Where was Jim Jones and his top of car rod bungies back in the mid 80's? :( Still think about that rod, it's action, it's ... crap, sounds like I'm talking about an old girl friend and increadable sex.
:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
I still have my Shakespeare 8 weight, 8 foot, wonder rod I bought in 1980 to start GLs steelhead and salmon fishing. Put my trout Plueger Medalist on it and caught some kings up to 20 lbs and maybe my first steelhead on the fly. Can't remember any longer.

Then of course had to get the cooler graphite rods and better reels but I bet I could rig that same setup now and catch steelhead.

You don't need expensive equipment to fly fish many species of fresh water fish.

Just like you don't need an Orvis or Simms wardrobe on the river.

PM Out

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Roger That!

Welcome NDO, from a fellow affirmed cheap tackle fan. Remember as a bumper sticker I got once said" the fish don't care what you paid for it".

fredaevans said:
One of (and I still think about that rod and reel) was a 'dirt cheepo." :D
Won't tell you how I busted the rod/reel (4+ degrees doen't stop you from doing very, very stupid things ... sigh); still think about that 6wt rod. Never used a better rod, it knew all of my fobles and weakness, and it caught fish after fish.
Ah now it becomes clearer. Trying to replace a much beloved cheap rod with state of the art generated that quicken total your better half gave you a couple of weeks ago Fred. ;)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
John, if you keep posting this kind of crap I'll

HAVE TO CHANGE my screen me to protect the guilty!

"Ah, now it becomes clearer. Trying to replace a much beloved cheap rod with state of the art generated that quicken total your better half gave you a couple of weeks ago Fred. "

What have I DONE to create this kind of grief on the Board????

:eyecrazy:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
ndo1985,

You will find that nearly all fly fishers got started by either buying or using inexpensive equipment. Most of us who have top quality rods have been fishing for years before we could afford to get them. Yes, some of us quite a few of the top quality rods; however, one doesn't need a top line rod to have fun fly fishing.

And most of us who do fish the top quality rods have things like patched waders, 10 year old (or older) fishing vests, rain gear that has seen many seasons of use, etc. Don't worry, sometime in the future your will have either the means or have saved enough to buy a top quality rod. In the meantime, enjoy the experience of fly fishing and learn as much as you can about the nuiances of the sport.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sometimes we forget that the most important part of fishing is to enjoy yourself. It sounds like you are doing that. So what kind of fly are you throwing at the bream. Maybe we can help you get a few (or more :D )

Fred, I'm sorry if I caused you grief. Say the word and the quote & all references will be removed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Right on the above comments you do not need the expensive equipment or clothes to enjoy the sport productively.

My fishing vest is 23 years old bought on my first steelhead rivern (St Joe) from an old timer michigan steelhead fanatic, who made these vests for steelhead fishing. His wife made them and he sold them.

Paid $ 25 for it and it is still going.

Never been washed except by steelhead river water, cold michigan rain and snow. Its my good luck charm and companion. :chuckle:

PM Out

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with Mjyp on the fanny pack. The one I have holds an amazing amount of stuff and was very inexpensive, <$10. You don't feel the weight on your hips and when its hot you keep cool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Guys - mj, Hal, whomever - what about going an old-fashioned route. Take the thing to a tailor or seamstress or somebody's wife who revels in making stuff on a sewing machine to have measured and made? If it's the best you've ever had, shouldn't it be worth a few bucks to have reproduced by measurement, or at least have it priced out?

By the way, I'm a plank owner on the S.S. Cheapskate and not planning to change any time soon, so I'd feel like I was in pretty good company with you pennypinchers:smokin:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Buying the good stuff...

I love a good cheap thing as much as anyone but I like to buy good fly gear because I don't spend my $ on other things.

Buy a stereo lately? Yup, got one free with my car.

Golf clubs? Nope, don't own any of those, nor do I belong to any of those.

Own skis? Not even one but I have a ski pole I use for wading.

Second home? Only a tent

Designer suits? Heck I don't even own dress shoes right now (dog ate them).

Nope, I keep things pretty simple except when it comes to my flyfishing gear. Give me the best that money can buy please! :devil:

·
Registered
459 Posts
MJYP,

The name on the inside of the vest I bought on the St. Joe is :

Kingsley Custom Vests
Dowagiac, Michigan

One zipper is broke on a pocket which I could probably have fixed but then I would have to wash it. Don't know if I want to do that.

It is dark green

PM Out

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Juro,

When it comes to rods, fly lines, hooks, tying vises and tying tools, hackle capes, G.P. tippets, necks, and tails, Amhearst necks and tails, bustard, Argus, silk floss, french tinsels, etc. I always buy the best for myself. However, when it comes to waders, wading shoes, vests, or rain gear, I buy high quality but not necesarily the priciest and I wear them until I can no longer repair them.

Like you I do not golf, ski, scuba dive, or hunt (although I used to love upland bird hunting). This means my recreation dollars are spent on fishing gear, and tying materials.

I also have a penchant for fast cars and I'm putting my pesos away so that I can get one of the Dodge Charger Daytona Hemis that are supposed to be on the market in summer or fall of 2005. 400 hundered horsepower in a 4-door family sedan that is supposed to handle like a sprorts car. Waited a long time (1971 was the last time something similiar was manufactured) for a car company to make something like this once again. But this is a transportation cost.

·
Registered
57 Posts
While dry flies are a lot of fun I have had much better results with wet flies on panfish. This may be from my experience with trout where 90% of their diet is subsurface. Your undoubtedly far south of me if your fishing right now so I can't venture a guess at the bugs present now in your area.
I have a couple of questions that could help figure out what to use.
What bugs are biting you when out fishing ?
Are there bees, ants or other land based (terrestrials) around?

Without knowing the answers I'd suggest that you fish with either a wooly bugger, a pheasant tail nymph, or a muddler minnow. There are several sponsors of the board who could help you pick out quality flies. It is one area where quality is critical. Hopefully you have good water visibility. If you do you can slowly strip in the fly while watching it to see a fish take it. I typically use a short, 3-6 inch strip every 2 - 4 mississippi count. If you see a fish take the the fly pull the line tight with your hand to set the hook, then lift the rod up when you feel a fish. That way you don't rip the fly away from the fish, giving it a second chance to hit it.
To tell if a fish takes a subsurface fly without seeing it takes concentration. Watch where the floating fly line (I assume thats what came with your outfit) joins the leader. If it moves away from you, or in a direction that you don't expect tighten up the line, and set the hook as described above.
Most of all have fun and feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hmmm Dodge Charger Hemi, that could get me to the rivers at least a half hour faster. Remember those, friends had them I was a Malibu SS 396 guy back then.

I golf so that takes away from my fishing dollars.

MJYP,

Here is the best picture I have of the vest. BTW that is the last steelhead ever killed from the PM, must have been 1984 or 85.

Is that the vest you have ? God what a great investment that $ 25 was in either 1980 or 81 I think. It is still functional.

BTW, I still look the same, have not aged except for graying of the hair. Still can do a hard michigan steelheading ll day on the river without breaks for sandwiches etc.... LOL:chuckle: :chuckle:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheap fly rod

I think you did the right thing for this reason alone:

What if you found out (hypothetically speaking of course) that you do not like, or could not fly fishing after all?
That would be a sick feeling knowing that you spent $500.00+ dollars on a fly rod/reel only to NOT use it...

I have seen people do this...

They have to have the best, state of the art products, only to realise they lost intrest, or don't take the time to develope their casting skills, and never touch the rod/reel again except to sell it.

"I'm not saying this will happen to you... "
If you love the sport, when you feel the time is right, up-grade your system...

Enjoy yourself and catch lots of fish...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts