Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tied the Sex Dungeon in a steelhead format (cut the front hook off, make the back hook a Alec Jackson or something)? I'm tying a bunch up for the run-off fishing that will inevitably be happening on the Bow for some monster trout, and i went and put the fly in the tub, and first thing that entered my mind was how steelhead-esc it was (it rang 'intruder' in my head pretty quick).
I'm tying them in black, with red fire tips on the sili legs, and they look stupidly good..would wonder what they'd be like in a black and blue combination

just wondering what you think

·
Forever Learning
1,667 Posts
They should look great, i think it is worth to have a go with them :)

What i wouldn't use AJ's on the trailing hook, i believe a stinger or octopus should fit better there.

Rob

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think it was John Hazel who once said, "steelhead will eat your car keys, so go ahead and throw them on and you will catch"... or something like that. : ) All though for me I always want someone else to tell me "yes, that will work"... !!! : )

How is that pattern working for you on trout? I have stuck to some zonker, and sculpzilla type variations for my trouting on the swing with streamers.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob, i was thinking a stinger or an octopus, only problem is getting a long enough shank to tie the back section (a sex dungeon will usually have that back hook tied as a 3XL #4 streamer hook).

Stark,
I love fishing big, big stuff for trout. You get rid of a smaller class of fish, and some of the fish you catch attack more like pike then a trout..when the water has a foot and half of vis, look out..All winter i've been swinging trout streamers in a 3-5" range, and they beat fish up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice man... I need to up the size some! : )

Rob, i was thinking a stinger or an octopus, only problem is getting a long enough shank to tie the back section (a sex dungeon will usually have that back hook tied as a 3XL #4 streamer hook).

Stark,
I love fishing big, big stuff for trout. You get rid of a smaller class of fish, and some of the fish you catch attack more like pike then a trout..when the water has a foot and half of vis, look out..All winter i've been swinging trout streamers in a 3-5" range, and they beat fish up.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Very cool tie.

Get 'em swimming & give us a report on hook-ups! ;)

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sex dungeon

Nice tie it's a tough pattern. Use a shank and a trailer hook, lots of action with this fly. Tie it 5 or 6 inches long ,it works great on big meat eating bull trout.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
I have a hard time trying to imagine what you are tying without a picture. I did read what you said regarding the need for the long hook to provide extra length. Why would you not tie them on a shank and trail the hook using Senco wire?

As for the will they work / what might I think part, I catch steel head and large rainbow trout using sculpins and leach patterns. Matter of fact they are about all I use any more.

When I was young, before I ever went steelhead fishing all I knew was what I saw in books. My impression of a steelhead fly was one of the old traditional PNW patterns, colorful and somewhat artistic. Then I started fishing for them I was in my 40's and they were Great Lakes fish. Funny thing but they didn't exactly jump on a Rogue River Special like I figured they would...…….. It all seemed out of whack, everyone I saw catching fish was using some weird rig with loads of weight they called Slinky's ant the casting was called Chuck & Duck.

But hey, I kept on swinging those fancy flies although as the years passed I began to wonder whether they would take something that really looked tasty more readily than a Skykomish Sunrise. I started using the streamers that I'd been catching brown trout on for 20 years and guess what? Little by little I became a minnow pattern guy. Oh I can tie a Lady Caroline and many other patterns and will never argue the effectiveness of a Jock O' Dee tied to a #4 or 6 Partridge Bartleet hook but 9 times out of ten you'll find a sculpin or leach pattern swinging along on my leaders.

I've not become progressive enough yet to use something called a Sex Dungeon but that's just me. Somehow I can't imagine myself telling someone that is the name of the fly I use but I'd bet they'll work just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts