Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the day to try fishing on the Russian, Gualala, Garcia and other coastal rivers/streams in the following areas:

BULLETIN...IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
FLASH FLOOD WATCH NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO CA 430 AM PST SUN DEC 28 2003

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN FRANCISCO HAS ISSUED A FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR SATURDAY FOR PEOPLE IN THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...

IN NORTH CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

...SONOMA COUNTY
...NAPA COUNTY
...MARIN COUNTY

A STRONG PACIFIC STORM WILL MOVE ASHORE IN THE NORTHERN SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA BEGINNING THIS AFTERNOON...AND HEAVY RAIN IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP IN THE NORTH BAY TONIGHT AND CONTINUE WELL INTO MONDAY MORNING. 2 TO 4 INCHES OF RAIN ARE EXPECTED AT LOWER ELEVATIONS TONIGHT AND MONDAY WITH LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS OVER HIGHER TERRAIN. THE HEAVY RAIN FALLING ON ALREADY SATURATED GROUND WILL RESULT IN RAPID RISES OF SMALL CREEKS AND STREAMS.

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS FLASH FLOODING IS POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA. PERSONS IN THE WATCH AREA ARE ADVISED TO CHECK PREPAREDNESS REQUIREMENTS...KEEP INFORMED AND BE READY FOR QUICKACTION IF FLASH FLOODING IS OBSERVED OR A WARNING IS ISSUED.

REMEMBER...NEVER TRY TO DRIVE THROUGH AN AREA THAT IS FLOODED. MOST DEATHS IN FLASH FLOODS ARE AUTOMOBILE RELATED.
==============================================
Last December during a similiar storm the Russian, Gualala and Gracia jumped up to 10 and 20 times normal flows in a few hours.

This might be a good day for those of us who live in these areas to check out our fishing gear for the next trip.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Grandpa Spey,

Those of us in Northwest Washington feel your pain. We had over a month of high water and flood events.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
9:03 pm in Ashland, OR

It's blowing at least a steady 30mph, with higher gusts, and snows coming down like it REALLLLLLLLY means it. Tomorrow moring may be the first time in years that I'll take the 'fishing ford' to work ... in 4x4 config.
:whoa:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Fred,

This morning we had rain, rain & snow mix, snow, sleet, and hail along with thunder and lightning during a snow squall here in Mount Vernon. To say the least, it was an interesting day.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Fred,

30 MPH wind, snowing and you are going to work? Those are prime winter steelhead conditions man, get to the river!

Working for a school district, snow is a blessing. On those rare days when school is cancelled, its put it in 4WD and head for the river. Love fishing in the snow.

Wind is another matter but one that is common this time of year. Fished on Tuesday with a forum regular and the 30 mph qualified as lulls. You do get some interesting looking casts though.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sinktip

This sounds like our winds this past summer in N California and in September on the Lower Rogue:

"Wind is another matter but one that is common this time of year. Fished on Tuesday with a forum regular and the 30 mph qualified as lulls. You do get some interesting looking casts though."

Like a Snake Roll Cast started downstream 60-70' with a strong upstream wind and your Mid Spey 7/8 floater ends upstream from you about 30' and about 50' upstream from your intended target.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Still have the severe weather warning here in Central Or. Weather forcast for the forseeable future is Snow. Ugg. It was 300 miles of 4x4 going to Portland and back.
:(
Skilly

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Skilly

I don't know what is worse re bad driving in snow, the Californians or those who live around the Portland area.

We have friends with a know it all daughter (not 20 yet). Her grandmother gave her a new car for Christmas, (No 4X4). She told her parents that they were just old sticks in the mud for warning her about driving from here to Portland at this time of the year. She goes to one of the colleges in Portland.

She spent one night between Redding and the Oregon border and apparently still has not gotten to Portland as of yesterday evening. Her dad did insist that she take her chains. He said that she has gotten pretty good at crawling under her new car to put the chains on and to take them off. Her Dad told her that any motel expenses came out of her college mad money.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
And more 'a-cummin.'

Winter Storm Watch above 1000 feet New Years Day...
Today
Cloudy with rain or snow. Snow accumulation 2 inches. Snow level 2000 feet. Highs around 40. South winds around 10 mph.
Tonight
Rain and snow. Snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Snow level 2000 feet. Lows in the lower to mid 30s. Light winds.
New Years Day
Rain or snow. Snow level near 1000 feet. Snow accumulation 3 to 6 inches possible. Highs in the mid 30s to lower 40s. Light winds.
Thursday Night
Snow showers. Lows around 30. Southwest winds around 10 mph.
Friday
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the mid 30s to lower 40s. Light winds.

Ashland, Oregon ranges from 1750-2300 feet above sea level; wonder if I'll get to make a snow man tomorrow?
:hehe:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
sinktip city

had 4 inches on the ground for three days,colapsed my storage awning,thankfully my drifter was spared!,8 inch branch sheared off the willow in the front yard,luckily only cost me a windshield!!!hey,it's that time of year,,,,i never forgot about last year,rogue blown for weeks,about time for the illinois,,,,,,,,,,time to tuck in,polish your tackle,plan the next attack:hehe:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ah yes, I remember telling my kids what to do and they thought I was an old stick in the mud. Now my grandkids think the same thing.

Shoveled my driveway and sidewalks today. Good exercise, but lools like I will be doing the same thing all week. I think thats more exercise than this old man wants.

Looks like the snow will finish my Deschutes fishing for the season. I will just have to go to Portland and stay with friends to do the Sandy till summer. G I`m glad I have a 4x4.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Wasn't quite sure how I'd spend tomorrow ...

"The Redhead," whose been gone for a week tells me I'm staying home ... or at 'best/worst,' we'll take a drive around tomorrow.

Actually, sounds like a good morning to pull the 'fishing ford' into the garage, jack same up, and put on the studded snow tires.

Wanted to dodge that bullet this year ... Not.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another storm warning

Shortly after we woke up our neighbors with our annual outdoor New Year Celebration, our latest storm settled in.

So for 8 hours we have been pelted with high wind and rains:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO CA
400 AM PST THU JAN 1 2004

SONOMA AND MARIN COUNTIES-SAN FRANCISCO-
ALAMEDA AND CONTRA COSTA COUNTIES-SANTA CLARA COUNTY-
COASTAL MONTEREY COUNTY-SALINAS VALLEY/INTERIOR MONTEREY COUNTY/SAN BENITO COUNTY-NAPA COUNTY-SANTA CRUZ COUNTY-SAN MATEO COUNTY-400 AM PST THU JAN 1 2004

...WIND ADVISORY TODAY FOR THE ENTIRE SAN FRANCISCO AND MONTEREY BAY
AREAS...

SOUTH TO SOUTHEAST WINDS OF 25 TO 45 MPH ARE EXPECTED TODAY...WITH HIGHER GUSTS POSSIBLE OVER HIGHER TERRAIN. THIS IS A DANGEROUS WEATHER SITUATION. MANY TREES AND STRUCTURES ACROSS THE REGION WERE WEAKENED BY THE STORM EARLIER THIS WEEK. IN ADDITION...SOILS ARE SATURATED AND ARE LESS CAPABLE OF HOLDING TREE ROOTS IN PLACE.
PROPERTY OWNERS SHOULD SECURE ALL OUTDOOR ARTICLES THAT MAY BECOME FLYING DEBRIS. TRAVELERS SHOULD BE CAUTIOUS OF DEBRIS ON THE ROAD AND FOR SUDDEN GUSTS OF WIND WHILE DRIVING. THE WINDS SHOULD SHIFT TO SOUTHWEST AND DECREASE BY THIS EVENING.

PERSONS IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA AND MONTEREY BAY AREA SHOULD TAKE PRECAUTIONS AGAINST HIGH WINDS TODAY. USE CAUTION WHEN DRIVING...ESPECIALLY IN HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES."

Stay safe where ever you live, and Happy New Year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts