Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dom
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. Been using the thick stuff but would like something limper. Tried a bunch of different stuff out there, different Firelines, Beadalon, ect. Liking the Senyos wire the best so far but wondering if the thin version is up to task for steelhead. It says it's 18lb doubled over but how does it stand up to continuous use and bigger fish?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used it for lake ontario fish in the 8-10lb range. Had a tendency to get kinked up/frayed after a fish or two, never had it break but it looked too sketchy to keep using.

·
Registered
76 Posts
All wire has longevity issues from kinking. senyo's tends to last a few me a few fish though and the larger size is good for steelhead under 20 ...I think limp wire is probably a better choice vs stiff . Personally i only use wire on non weighted flies. (Not sure if you saw my post in the last thread domantas.. But ill repeat it just in case.) The lead/brass etc eyes+ wire can be a recipe for disaster.. The eyes+stiff wire allow the fish to head shake whipping the fly back n forth much more violently (like a pendulum). Having some limp slack here makes a difference . jerry french said it was wild how many fish people lose on the kanektok river. When they used wire+ weighted eyes (imo its even worse with barbless, Barbless is almost as good but this pendulum event really exploits the lack of barb )

·
Registered
17 Posts
All wire has longevity issues from kinking. senyo's tends to last a few me a few fish though and the larger size is good for steelhead under 20 ...I think limp wire is probably a better choice vs stiff . Personally i only use wire on non weighted flies. (Not sure if you saw my post in the last thread domantas.. But ill repeat it just in case.) The lead/brass etc eyes+ wire can be a recipe for disaster.. The eyes+stiff wire allow the fish to head shake whipping the fly back n forth much more violently (like a pendulum). Having some limp slack here makes a difference . jerry french said it was wild how many fish people lose on the kanektok river. When they used wire+ weighted eyes (imo its even worse with barbless, Barbless is almost as good but this pendulum event really exploits the lack of barb )

What do you suggest for the weighted flys?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've used Sanyo for years, caught dozens of steelhead, never EVER, seen a kink??????
Ami doing something different? I use a very small loop, just enough to replace my hook.
I can understand the kink if using to long a loop, but looking at my flies, I can't see how it will kink. I read about this all the time, but have yet to see a kink. I like the stiffness, my hook to landed ratio is fantastic.
I'm not changing anytime soon.
Can someone post a picture of a knk please.
Regards

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I tie steelhead flies for the four of us who visit a famous river in BC each year. In the last few years we have pretty much gone to using tubes for several reasons, the primary is that it's easier to protect fish by not having the hook too far back as well as the obvious of being able to change out the hook so easily.

Prior to pretty much all of us changing to tube construction I used a number of products to attach the hook to the shank. One was the Senyo wire. I thought it would be the best solution but we had those wires bent or kinked on a lot of those flies which makes them unusable in my estimation. I know some of it was caused by the size of the fish and some was caused by getting too close to the bottom I suppose but nevertheless it was a problem.

I don't like fabric as it's too floppy and will occasionally flip up on the shank and get fouled and there's no way to hook a fish. This is a problem on about 80% of the commercial flies.

So my solution was to use 20 lb Maxima Chamelion. Stiff enough to not foul and not so stiff as wire as to kink. Worked great. Two fish over 20lbs were landed on this construction in 2019.

One of the guys still prefers the shank construction and I found that kit of shanks and pre shaped wire from Fair Flies is something that he wanted to try. Of course 2020 eliminated our trip so we don't know if it will kink or not (but I suspect it could but it's a bit different material).

my 2 cents

As an aside........... If 2020 was a cocktail it would be the Prep for a colonoscopy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've used Sanyo for years, caught dozens of steelhead, never EVER, seen a kink??????
Ami doing something different? I use a very small loop, just enough to replace my hook.
I can understand the kink if using to long a loop, but looking at my flies, I can't see how it will kink. I read about this all the time, but have yet to see a kink. I like the stiffness, my hook to landed ratio is fantastic.
I'm not changing anytime soon.
Can someone post a picture of a knk please.
Regards
Do you use it with weighted flys?

·
Registered
76 Posts
What do you suggest for the weighted flys?
Sorry for the late reply! I VERY much suggest you use the oldschool rig for intruders. This means the hook is perfectly straight, closer to the fly, and the intruder detaches. Basically when you first start. you make a teeny tiny loop at the end of your fly. The line goes through the eye, then the back loop, the through junction tubing, tie a hook on, Put the junction tube on the end of the shank or waddington (yes just force a large junction over it).. Here's a video from 1 of the co creators of the intruder+skagit
,, Companies don't make them that way because its harder for the general public to use, Tyers often skip it as its time consuming and they accept the tiny risk that comes with using braid or mono. Wire is more risky and will cost you a bit more ........

Now for non intruder flies that are weighted i.e f'oxy dog'. I suggest using 30 pound fireline BUT with a twisted hitch. This gives it a surprising amount of more support,,, Here's a video watch at 3:53
Though after a insane amount of fishes, somehow the fly is undamaged from snags,fish, give erodes and the finish on the head comes undone, etc, the feathers on it keep their dye. Your fireline might sag, so if your worried use the ultra rig from the second intruder co creator jerry french. Who was the one who first told me about the issue of wire being

·
Registered
115 Posts
I second the "old school" rig. You also greatly reduce the possibility of increased mortality due to overly long trailer hook loops.

I don't really understand the point of French's ultra rig...Is it just junction tubing put over the trailer wire? Doesn't that make changing out the hook a major pain?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts