Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sell me on a new light spey rod .....

Alrighty, I need a light spey rod for October steelhead on the Methow River and for trout in large rivers. It will be only for those things, as I am getting a Sage One 7136-4 for the heavier lifting.

I am thinking a 5wt or maybe a very light 6wt 12'0" - 12'6" long. The Echo TR 5120 has my eye. Anything else I should be looking at?

Hopefully not looking to spend a fortune, if possible. The Sage One should handle most needs.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Funny I was just talking to my brother and he said the TR 5wt. was his favorite out of all his rods. He said it is just a joy to cast all day.

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
I have fished the Beulah 5124 Onyx and can highly recommend it. Today I cast the new Sage 4 wt One spey and it was magic. I am not sure when it comes out but if you can cast one you may love it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Emp,

I live on and fish the Methow year round. (Live on east county rd. if that means anything to you). For steelhead I think a modest length spey rod is perfect, say 12' 13'. I wouldn't want to go any shorter in case you have a winter like this one where the water is up and the river is larger than normal. I find myself making lot's of 75' - 85' casts. My daily driver this year has been a T&T 1307-3 and it has worked great. Given that our fish average in the 5-8lb class a 6 would be great but a 7 works nicely as well, especially when you stick one of those 30"+ steelhead or similar sized bully. A friend of mine landed a 32" hen about 10 days ago. Heaps of good options.

As far as 5 wt's go I have been fishing an Anderson Custom Rod 1215 Nova. Sensational little stick. Perfect streamer or soft hackle rod. But, like all Andersons it is a true 5 and not a 5/6 so, as Steve Godshall warned me, laying into a steelhead with it might push it over the limit. But, works wonderfully for our 16" to 20" trout. ALSO, Steve Godshall can also build an affordable custom, turbo-tip for it that gives it more ability to handle longer bellies and skagits. Took my new turbo tip out for the first time last night.

I have to say that this little Nova is a spectacular casting machine. Actually, awfully reminiscent of a baby, featherweight T&T 1307. Huge grain window and very forgiving. I have thrown scandis from 325 gr. to 375 gr. with equal ease. 80'-90' without even taking a deep breath. This summer I will spool up some OPST lazer running line and see just how far this little guy can really go. This little rod can more than hold it's own with the very best, including Sage, Burkheimer, ............ except it costs about the same as a TFO or Echo. I say that having cast several of the above and given no price limit I would still choose this little Nova, just the business for me.

Right now Gary Anderson lists a 12' 1" 5 wt, a 12' 6" 6 wt, and a 13' 7 wt in the Nova series but there may be others available. In fact this winter I bought a 12' 9wt Nova from him that is not yet listed on his website.

PM me if you have any specific questions, or, if you are in the neighborhood, come over and take it down to the river for a test drive. Hope this is of some use.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts