Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since these things eat up disk space and take time to download if you aren't on dsl or cable, just wanted to solicit a little feedback from you about the usefulness of the videos on the speypages. Right now I'm working on some new stuff featuring Loop's Henrik Mortensen on the Underhand Cast as well as some other stuff, but just wanted to know if

1. the videos are a feature I should continue?

2. there are any particular casts or methods you'd like to see?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The answer to the first question is yes. I have a cable modem , and the video loads just fine.
I am new to spey casting(30yrs+one handed casting ) , and your videos have been helpful to me.I would like to see something on one handed spey casting.
Thanks,

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dana,

Same here, I am a newbie spey caster, but 42 year single hander FF. Basic films are what I need. The snake roll is years or never for me. Rivers here just do not need that.

Best,

Hal

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Dana, I think your videos are great.

While it does take me quite awhile to load them I think they are worth while. They have helped me. I especially enjoyed the video of Kush and I'm really looking forward to the video of Loop's Henrik Mortensen and the underhand cast.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Dana -

My name is Juro, and I am a videoholic :rolleyes:

My vote is that these are way too valuable, we just have to work to get the server capacity up to handling the program. Maybe we could offer a premium membership that involves a fair donation to access videos. The more people who do it, the less the fee would need to be.

In any case, if we control the video byte size and come up with a self-supporting funding system (like a "pub") the videos can work.

I want to add more on sight fishing the flats this summer as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes I am on a a high speed cable link and there was no problem loading it.

I only did it once, figured it might hurt forumn performance.

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
Re:feedback on videos

Dana & [email protected];
The vid's load in 3-5 minutes on a 56K usually connected at 44,000bps. Not a problem.
Now if someone would make a flourescent orange spey line that shows up in videos...
Keep up the great work:cool:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like yer thinkin'!

A flo-orange or other hi-vis line is a great idea for the vids, Bob--let me look into that. If I can get my hands on one I can also re-do some of the older vids so that the line shows up better.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dana, acouple, maybe three years ago I had some lines from a company called 'GUIDELINE'. The intermediate lines were clear but the floating heads were bright orange, cast well and worked great for photos. These were scandinavian heads 30'-40' in length, designed to be looped onto floating running line.If you are interested I think I still have an intermediate line in a box somewhere and could forward the company contact info.
Brian

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dana,

The videos are great. Because I live in the boondocks and the phone company won't improve on their lines I am stuck with a 28.8 connection. Since the download size was sort of large I waited till late at night to download. They are definately worth it. Please keep it up.

Steven

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Dana, i have got to agree with all the other posts "KEEP THE VIDIO'S COMING":D They are great and if we have to "SUBSCRIBE" to watch them i think it is a great idea. The post about the a line that will show up better is a great idea,I hope you can work something out.tight lines,brian:devil:

·
Registered
7 Posts
great videos

hi dana, awesome videos. please, keep them going. im a total rookie to spey casting, so seeing some techniques on video for the first has been very helpful. i have to ask a complete rookie question though. i noticed on some of the videos, the cast was made quartering pretty far downstream. can these casts be made at a more upstream angle when necessary? thanks,mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I’ve pretty much figured out most of the basic casts like the single, double, spiral roll, and contrived loop casts, I haven’t figured out that “snap whatever” thing that Deck and company do on the Skagit. I wouldn’t mind seeing a video demonstrating that cast. Also I think some video demonstrating “techniques” for landing large steelhead with a spey-rod would be good for some laughs. :hehe:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the videos are great. No problem downloading them on my connection. Very nice to send to a fishing buddy to keep him "warm" during the long cold winter here in Norway.

I am a novise to Spey-casting and videos are a fine substitute for actually being at the river together with an expert.

I think it is a great idea to use fluorescent orange fly-lines as one forum member suggested.

To me it is a little problem that the videos are played so fast. If the videos could be played in slow-motion it would be easier to pick up the details of the different casts.

Regarding your second question, ideally I would like a video for each of the different casts I read about in the Spey Clave and the Spey pages. As a start:

- Underhand cast (which I understand is coming)
- Double Spey
- Single Spey with "big" change of direction (> 45 degrees)

Keep up with the good work!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dana,

The videos are great, downloads are not an issue either at the office or mi casa. The issue in viewability is contrast. I wonder about using a loop yellow rod (or a can of white spray paint, I'm sure you have an extra rod around) and the glow winky orange line. Paying attention to the angler with a selection of a contrasting background, sun to your back. If you still have those pictures I took of Kush you can see ihs rod and line through the entire cast. Although, I think that it might be too far for a casting video.

Juro, where is that video of that hen you caught above "BC".

andre

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks to everyone for the feedback!

I also received several emails on this subject as well! I'll keep 'em coming and should be able to improve the visibility of the line in future videos.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
andre said:
Dana,

Juro, where is that video of that hen you caught above "BC".

andre
Ahh yes, I'll have to dig that one up! :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts