Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a first generation rod. The grain window on the rod is 240 to 325. Looking for recommendations for a Scandi head, running line and polyleader. Also, what size fly is it reasonable to expect to be able to cast? Finally, after getting comfortable with the rod and line, what sort of distance is to be expected?

Thanks

LWD

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Airflo Scandi Comact maybe 270 or 300 with Ridge running line in 20 lb. Or Rio Scandi with .024" Connectcore shooting line. Any trout poly or versi leader up to 10' should do the trick floating or sinking. 50-60 feet of line should be comfortable. 70-80 with the wind at your back:) There are also shooting lines like SA Floating Mono .021" or Varivas Airs 36 lb.(also a floating mono). I have had a blast with all of these. The floating mono gives a little more distance but can be a little tricky handling wise.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Scandi line

Get ahold of Steve Godshall through Meiser ,he'll set you up right .

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I own the rod. Try the airflo or beulah scandi heads 300 or under. I love the 270 range. But if you're throwning large barbells you'll need to single hand but it can chuck large . The beulah line is a few feet shorter and might be easier or harder for some to cast as opposed to the airflo. I lovem both.

Its truly a switch Rod. Absurdly light. It's more in line with T&T in taper as opposed to a Meiser/TFO deep action. The helios will get you where you want to go as far as distance. The cork is comfy and it is so easy to single hand.

You'll be able to throw coneheads and dry flies. If there is a strong wind, just change your cast

As far as distance, that's up to you. I won't pick up a single hand Rod ever again. Switch/spey is so easy to cast up close or distant. If you're using a poly leader, that's 10ft, a scandi is 25+feet, and tipper, 4feet? So just to get the line out you're covering 40feet. So hitting sixty is easy unless you're battling a strong head wind.

It's not a noodle at all and very strong.

I really should keep mine. I wanted this Rod for so long.

Enjoy it!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts