Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its that time of year again. Time for the great Canadian Seal hunt. And the animal rights activist’s are going crazy about it, as you would expect. After being almost eliminated 25 years ago, it is expected that over 350,000 seals will be killed this year. Last year the hunt brought in about $15 million. Mostly to Canadian Cod fisherman who have been suffering due to the great decline in the Cod fishing Industry.

I know being fisherman and conservationists, most of us feel strongly about this subject so this topic should make for some great entertainment. I myself am not against the hunt as long as it is done humanly. After all, the Harp seal is not on the endangered species list. So lets here what you have to say about the poor Harp Seal. Let them live or whack em and stack em.

Charlie.
:confused:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I only ask that we get to have seal's fur dubbing from some of them here in the U.S. Whack 'em, poison 'em, inject 'em, or shoot 'em, any of which have the same end result. The harp seal population gets thinned.

I've already seen some "objective reporting" (what an oxymoron) on the seal hunt and how civilized people nearly universally object to it. Hmmm... I suppose that means folks like me who have no objection to the seal hunt are uncivilized barbarians.

Then again I do so enjoy hooking and landing steelhead on a fly, which already makes me suspect and brands me as an uncaring Neanderthal brute.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I shared a few pools on one of my favorite salmon rivers last year with a pack of seals. As these are two of the largest holding pools on the river, I assume that the seals were there for the same reason that I was.

Very unsporting they were: they failed to observe the fly-only rule on the river, they paid no heed to the rotation, and they ignored Provincial Catch & Release requirements. They were also a mighty tough act to follow through the pool: "Did you see the guy with the whiskers? He cleaned house."

In light of their sportmanship, this summer I will only fish flies dubbed with real seal fur. Having seen seals with the opportunity to eat salmon, I will return the favor and give salmon the chance to eat some seal.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flytyer & Topher,

Good point on the dubbing thing! One thing you should keep in mind, however. It has to come from seal's that have been clubbed or it will not lie on the hook properly.

And mjyp,

Cormorant feathers make good spey hackle for small flies. Don’t ask me how I know. I also live in the Great Lakes.

Charlie.
:smokin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts