Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some of you from the USA explain legal seal fur verses illegal?

There are some venders in the USA that sell some amazing colours, and I m just not sure how they are able to do that?

I want to stock up before its not available anymore. I m not sure of the boarder issue? In Canada we have no problems buying and selling, however in the USA it is illegal to posses. So I m just wondering how these guys are able to continue to sell?

Thanks

B

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
It's been nearly a decade now since I purchased the seal selection from Dave McNeese - and still have plenty. It was legal then. Wondering: Has something changed since?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think it's a matter of proving how is obtained, don't quote me but I believe I read that AO got his out of old Russian military jackets. They just don't want everyone bonking seals for their fur.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Same deal as polar bear. If the stuff pre-dates whenever or can be proven to have come from a legal source, ie much of what is being sold legally has come from clothing articles and has been re-purposed...to cross the border legally it would likely have to have paper work (if any exists)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think it's a matter of proving how is obtained, don't quote me but I believe I read that AO got his out of old Russian military jackets. They just don't want everyone bonking seals for their fur.
I know John McClain got pounds of seal from old military jackets also...Russian I believe. Its far from illegal here, you can buy it everywhere. I notice some of the fly shops have clever names for it instead of simply calling it seals fur. Seems to me as long as your not clubbing those little devils and shipping the fur to your house, its not illegal. CJ

·
Registered
517 Posts
There is problem with materials become illegal
Especially when we like them for flies tied according traditional recipes
but when we like them for working flies we can find a lot of good replacement.
For example instead of seal a lot of people use special kind of goat .
Also under fur from wild boar is very nice . Even more shiny than seal but is little bit coarser .
Friend gave me also some hairs from his Labrador dog after dying it looks like seal :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke with John some time ago and he said the last time he ordered it, it came in a fridge sized box that was about 10LBS or something like that.

Shipping was a lot due to the size of it. Pretty sure it didn't come from any jackets. At least that order…

Just curious

·
Registered
371 Posts
I spoke with John some time ago and he said the last time he ordered it, it came in a fridge sized box that was about 10LBS or something like that.
It was a few years ago when he mentioned the jackets to me, though his web site still mentions seal coming from clothing...

Pictured above is a small piece of natural fur still on the hide. It came off an old article of clothing.

His dye jobs are really top shelf, and he has it in so many more colors than I have found it elsewhere. CJ

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,831 Posts
Eskape Anglers

Bryant Freeman in Moncton NB is a master of this as well for those Canadians intersted

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Boy 'O Boy is that the truth.

There is problem with materials become illegal
Especially when we like them for flies tied according traditional recipes
but when we like them for working flies we can find a lot of good replacement.
For example instead of seal a lot of people use special kind of goat .
Also under fur from wild boar is very nice . Even more shiny than seal but is little bit coarser .
Friend gave me also some hairs from his Labrador dog after dying it looks like seal :D
Three immediately come to mind: Seal, Herron, Eagle in the United States. If you are not 'First Nations' the fine will require you take a second mortgage on your house.

fae

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Three immediately come to mind: Seal, Herron, Eagle in the United States. If you are not 'First Nations' the fine will require you take a second mortgage on your house.

fae
That's not a complete rule Fred, I can buy seal many different places as well as source legal heron (certain breed) you just can't go kill any of them for feathers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts