Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning was perfect. I saw an osprey fly past my window with a herring in his clutches and took it as a good omen. The tide was ebbing, the air was still, and there was no competition for a good spot to cast. The only things missing were the first scouts of the striper migration. Ninety minutes of casting practice didn't hurt. They are just a few days away and I am ready.

The lobstermen are stuck in the harbor until the north Atlantic right whales move on following the burst of zooplankton as it pops in the Gulf of Maine. Their boats where lined up seeming to watch me as I cast.

After a winter of isolation, Spring is arriving in a nick of time.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,496 Posts
No traps in the water until the whales move on? Those guys must be chafing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tom. I'm up in Casco Bay in Southern Maine I'm in the exact same headspace. Can't wait for the Striped Bass to arrive. After a long winter, I'm ready! Post again if you make a connection and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No traps in the water until the whales move on? Those guys must be chafing.
They are all ready to go. Traps were being loaded on some of the boats. The season was set to open on May 1 but there are lots of whales in Cape Cod Bay so the State delayed the opening for two weeks. It could happen again if the whales don't move on. I'm down to my last two bugs in the freezer and am looking forward to some fresh ones.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom. I'm up in Casco Bay in Southern Maine I'm in the exact same headspace. Can't wait for the Striped Bass to arrive. After a long winter, I'm ready! Post again if you make a connection and I'll do the same.
There are credible reports of schoolies all the way up to Cape Ann so you don't have long to wait. People are catching in Boston Harbor particularly up the tidal creeks, I just can't seem to find them in our local creeks yet. I need to think like that osprey and I will find fish were there are herring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts