Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on Scottish salmon rivers or beats. I am thinking about making a trip over there in late September. My personal preference is medium sized water and plentiful grilse rather than a few large salmon. Thanks!

· Registered
Meiser, B&W, Cane and Hardy Reels
145 Posts
Fished the Ness (Inverness) last year. Or should say attempted to, my Mother ended up getting covid so I barely had a chance to wet a line. Nice accessible water and good sea trout from the reports. I think you can get an annual permit. It works out to around $40 a day, but you can get the annual for around $150. Great spot in the heart of the Scottish Highlands also. Ally Shrimp is the most popular fly along with traditional flies, but you will also see Skagit Tactics employed. The permit is good from the mouth to about 3 miles above the town.

· Registered
530 Posts
acsalmon, sadly the Autumn run is not what it was and is severely depleted in all UK rivers. As things have stood over the past few years September is seeing the last of the years fish in and running the rivers. As most of the UK fish seem to run early through mid to late summer, those Sept. fish can be quite coloured. Also, it's quite difficult to say you just want plentiful Grilse. To be honest, most rivers or beats with anything like plentiful catches are in the hands of sitting tenants, or more than likely already booked up for the year. Most UK Anglers are happy these days with whatever comes along. It would be just as reasonable to expect an Autumn "Croc" in tartan red as a smaller bright silver Grilse. Can I also say here "plentiful" is something that highly likely you won't experience these days in the UK.
After the low water and prolonged drought of last season, early Sept saw fish in very short supply until we got rain enough to move fish, then by and large coloured fish were much more prevalent than fresh silver fish. The later into Sept. you'd be making your plans for, the more coloured and closer to spawning the majority of any fish would be
As things stand at the minute, I'd hesitate recommending a trip over at that time of the season purely to fish, unless you have already secured a good beat with good fishing.Thing is, none of it would be cheap and its quite a journey and to the point you could be disappointed.
It's time for careful thinking here, one issue is, as the Autumn run has virtually collapsed, the big hitting rivers which traditionally had the biggest and best catches and were high priced and "dead mens shoes" are now standing fallow .If you know no better, letting agents will still happily let you a beat at a ridiculous price, because simply, no one wants them any longer. ( at those prices any way!) Beats like Hendersyde, Junction, and Lees on Tweed which could be £1000+ a day are now stood empty. And while they might be worth a punt to some one with their finger on the pulse, for a non adept like yourself, you're just a cash cow to the letting agent.
So I'd say be carefull and do your homework before making concrete plans, its a significant trip for you no point in falling flat on your face.
Happy to help if I can
Yorkie.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
acsalmon, sadly the Autumn run is not what it was and is severely depleted in all UK rivers. As things have stood over the past few years September is seeing the last of the years fish in and running the rivers. As most of the UK fish seem to run early through mid to late summer, those Sept. fish can be quite coloured. Also, it's quite difficult to say you just want plentiful Grilse. To be honest, most rivers or beats with anything like plentiful catches are in the hands of sitting tenants, or more than likely already booked up for the year. Most UK Anglers are happy these days with whatever comes along. It would be just as reasonable to expect an Autumn "Croc" in tartan red as a smaller bright silver Grilse. Can I also say here "plentiful" is something that highly likely you won't experience these days in the UK.
After the low water and prolonged drought of last season, early Sept saw fish in very short supply until we got rain enough to move fish, then by and large coloured fish were much more prevalent than fresh silver fish. The later into Sept. you'd be making your plans for, the more coloured and closer to spawning the majority of any fish would be
As things stand at the minute, I'd hesitate recommending a trip over at that time of the season purely to fish, unless you have already secured a good beat with good fishing.Thing is, none of it would be cheap and its quite a journey and to the point you could be disappointed.
It's time for careful thinking here, one issue is, as the Autumn run has virtually collapsed, the big hitting rivers which traditionally had the biggest and best catches and were high priced and "dead mens shoes" are now standing fallow .If you know no better, letting agents will still happily let you a beat at a ridiculous price, because simply, no one wants them any longer. ( at those prices any way!) Beats like Hendersyde, Junction, and Lees on Tweed which could be £1000+ a day are now stood empty. And while they might be worth a punt to some one with their finger on the pulse, for a non adept like yourself, you're just a cash cow to the letting agent.
So I'd say be carefull and do your homework before making concrete plans, its a significant trip for you no point in falling flat on your face.
Happy to help if I can
Yorkie.
Thanks Yorkie! I really appreciate the response!

To be honest, I am disappointed but not entirely surprised to hear your take. I have done a bit of research and was kind of starting to get that feeling. That is what led me here, hoping someone in the know such as yourself might have a good lead.

I would still like to get over to Scotland to experience the fishing culture and hopefully catch a few fish. I have had Scotland on my list of fishing destinations to visit for a few years but it is difficult to get up the enthusiasm to go when good options seem hard to find. Will definitely have to give it some further thought....

· Registered
223 Posts
Thanks Yorkie! I really appreciate the response!

To be honest, I am disappointed but not entirely surprised to hear your take. I have done a bit of research and was kind of starting to get that feeling. That is what led me here, hoping someone in the know such as yourself might have a good lead.

I would still like to get over to Scotland to experience the fishing culture and hopefully catch a few fish. I have had Scotland on my list of fishing destinations to visit for a few years but it is difficult to get up the enthusiasm to go when good options seem hard to find. Will definitely have to give it some further thought....
I think if you're looking for a reason to go regardless, the obvious one is to make a pilgrimage to the River Spey - or, as is my preference, the River Dee - for the long and storied history of those rivers. The Dee is about as perfect a river for the swung fly fisherman as you could hope to find and is generally cheaper than the Tweed.

There are also some good associations in Scotland, not many but some, which offer reasonably priced fishing. With the added bonus of no restrictions on when you can start or when you must stop (some beats specify the hours of fishing, and I avoid those as early or late is often prime).

I'd still back myself to get a salmon in Scotland as long as I have reasonable conditions. Sadly, the conditions are not bookable in advance. If it were me, I'd consider May as an alternative timing because our summer droughts are starting to stretch towards Christmas. Late spring in the Cairngorms is a lovely time to be out too. Fish hard and be prepared to try things not in the text book and you may get lucky.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think if you're looking for a reason to go regardless, the obvious one is to make a pilgrimage to the River Spey - or, as is my preference, the River Dee - for the long and storied history of those rivers. The Dee is about as perfect a river for the swung fly fisherman as you could hope to find and is generally cheaper than the Tweed.

There are also some good associations in Scotland, not many but some, which offer reasonably priced fishing. With the added bonus of no restrictions on when you can start or when you must stop (some beats specify the hours of fishing, and I avoid those as early or late is often prime).

I'd still back myself to get a salmon in Scotland as long as I have reasonable conditions. Sadly, the conditions are not bookable in advance. If it were me, I'd consider May as an alternative timing because our summer droughts are starting to stretch towards Christmas. Late spring in the Cairngorms is a lovely time to be out too. Fish hard and be prepared to try things not in the text book and you may get lucky.
Thanks DarthWader!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts