Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just bought a Scott 1510/3 at a bargain price.
I have tried a #11 forward taper on it, which seems very light. Airflo spey lines are on special offer at the moment, so should I go for a 10, 11 or 12? I have had only two days of spey casting so far, so I am a beginner.
Any advice much appreciated.
I am booked to fish the Spey in Scotland this summer.
Roddytoo:devil:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just seen a System 2 12/13 reel with Rio Accellerator multi tip at a great price., size 10/11.
Any comments on this for the Scott 1510/3?;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good Choice!

Off to the Spey, eh?

I cast the Scott 15' 10wt /3 recently - the older model. The rod had a pretty stiff butt and a moderate/fast action.

I found it a very appealing rod to cast, with plenty of reserve power. I was casting a WindCutter 10-11-12 - something I find annoying with a 15' rod 'cause I often have difficult maintaining the anchor with such a short belly - and really wanted to try it with a longer belly line. Sadly, i never got the chance.

The rod I cast had the burnt orange wraps on a light silver blank. The newer models are sporting darker colored blanks and black wraps (if I remember correctly). If yours is similar in action to the one I cast, I would think the Redington/Rio Accelerator 10/11 combo would be perfect for it.

Dana has cast this rod as well, and I think it had been discussed in previous posts. Have you searched the Archives?

Good Luck!

DS

·
Registered
239 Posts
does your rod have black and silver wraps (new model) or red/burnt orange wraps (old model)? frankly, i favor the older model, which is fuller flexing, but very powerful, and an excellent spey rod for use with both long belly lines and shooting heads. the newer version is quite stiff through the tip in my opinion, and a much bigger handful, especially for the beginner.

i have cast the older and newer versions (i am on the scott pro staff) with a number of lines, and it is really quite a versatile (and near bulletproof) fishing tool. for floating lines, the accelerator in 10-11 works well, as does the windcutter 9-11, if you prefer shorter head lines. i haven't had a chance to cast with the new delta speys from airflo, so i can't recommend a particular line, although the 1510 ARC is very versatile. the long belly lines cast great on this rod too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts