Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Peter

Thanks Peter. Actually this fellow would prefer the 3 piece rod in a Spey Rod, and he prefers the two piece one handed fly rods.

The less rod to assemble, the faster he can be fishing.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
peter-s-c

He has a good sized SUV, and he bought a lot of my one handed two piece rods when I came over from the dark side.

He has 4 piece rods when he flies to Mexico or other salt water destinations.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter-s-c

Re converting him. He is slow on these changes but when he makes them, get out of his way.

For years he was against using an indicator for nymphing. The only real fishing was a back packing 3 weight rod about 7.5' long with a double taper line, a light leader and floating flies.

He has a neighbor who is a real world fisher. The neighbor got him into nymphing with indicators, tungsten beads, lead wrapped flies and anything to get them down deep fast. This neighbor, also, got him into two piece rods. He bought several of my two piece one handed rods when I sold them.

My friend didn't want to go to Mexico because "fishing from a boat in the wasn't really fly fishing. The same neighbor took him to Mexico two years ago, and this guy know has at least 4 four piece rods and reels for fishing off the coast of Mexico.

With our high waters the past 3 Shad seasons only the super casters have done okay with one handed rods. I'm sure that my friend's neighbor has scoped out the use of Spey Rods for Shad Fishing. If this works out for him, he will have as many Spey Rods as Fred does in a few years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts