Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
A fella
I fished with today was using a scott 1409/3, he was having quite a time with this rod, he had a 8/9 midspey line with tips. I try'd casting this rod, and to me it seemed a bit stiff for this line (wasn't loading) we try'd a 9/10 Delta (long spey) and it still seemed to not load properly. If anyone out in spey land has this rod, what would you suggest?
Thanks for your help
RICK

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just checked a few tables and the midspey and long delta spey that you were trying are both 640 g. (or gr, whatever). They should have loaded similarily. Simon's table recommends the midspey that you were using for his "a" or brisk cast, and the heavier MS 9/10 for a softer cast. According to his table you were close.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
If the 1409 was a 3 piece then the rod must be Scott's SAS series not the ARC series. This is a much faster rod (kinda European style). Fast rods are more difficult to feel load than a more moderate action rod and I expect this is the problem. I have mentioned before in a few posts that Airflo kept the grain weights the same for the Delta and Long Delta lines. Most manufacturers increase grain weight in th longer head lines. Especially in the heavier line weights I think the long Deltas may be undergrained for many rods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts