Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Scott LS2 12' 6 a true spey rod? i.e. - designed around spey lines and for spey casts? I don't hear much buzz about this rod and was wondering what you thought of it? I am thinking smallies and small steelhead rivers? What spey lines do you like on it?

- David

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hey David,

My 1206 is an early proto modal and it is made for spey casting. I don't fish it much because I click so well with the 1205 and 1307. My guess is that the 1206 has been tweaked a bit now and I need to try a new one. Not that mine isn't a good rod just that i consider the 5 and 7 to be some of my favorite rods to fish of all time. The 1206 does well with the 5/6 windcutter, Skagits around 350 gn. and the new 6 XLT.

Cheers,

Greg

·
Premium Member
90% Spey.
309 Posts
Scott LS2 6 wt.

The Scott LS 2 6wt. is a great light spey rod & I like it with a 400gr. Skagit, S.A. 7 wt. Short head or a Rio Windcutter 6/7/8. I really like the 12' 5 wt. LS2 but they discontinued it but I think another "trout" Spey from Scott is in the works - Lawrence

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
David,

I think for your applications, Bob Meiser 12'6" 5/6 Trouter would be a great spey rod. I use it for Alaskan Leopard Rainbows. Perfect for fish in 3-10 lb range.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David,

I think for your applications, Bob Meiser 12'6" 5/6 Trouter would be a great spey rod. I use it for Alaskan Leopard Rainbows. Perfect for fish in 3-10 lb range.
That will be a little light, I am fishing through water with Kings and Big Browns, the Browns can go 15 lbs. I went steelheading with a young man for his first time between Christmas and New Years this year. Here is his first lake run Brown:

I appreciate the comments though, I have one of Bob's 12'6" rods and it is great.

- David

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
The Meiser 12’6” 5/6 rod I have mentioned will handle 13-15 lb fish if needed, but I would not recommend it for 15 lb fish.
Fishing with this rod rod over many weeks in West-Central Alaska I had an occasional hook-ups of Kings…, which as expected required braking a tippets. However, I have landed successfully in August stray silvers in 12-13lb . Fortunately by the first week of August most of larger Rainbows quit competing with Dollies and Arctic Chars for salmon eggs and will concentrate on salmon flesh, which usually collects in places away from spawning salmons.

If you are looking for a bit stronger rod, Burkheimer 12’5” 6/7/8 which is more of wt. 6/7 could be a ticket.
CND Spey Tracker, 12'2" 5/6 is another option. This rod is slightly stronger then the Bob Trouter.

Salmo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.