Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello Martin:

Perhaps I can help a bit.

Although The 1509 ARC when it first appeared was characterized as a "faster action" modern spey rod, these days many would consider it a slower action rod. To my mind, I would certainly classify it as faster in action than all the other ARC's, past and present, with the exception of the 1287.

The LS2 rods are inch for inch, among the lightest on the market, even considering the four piece design. Despite their light weight, I was looking for a slightly quicker feeling rod, with more tip feel (i.e. a stiffer, more versatile tip with greater torsional rigidity), and more backbone. Specifically, I wanted a rod which would "fold" - meaning the more load you put into it, the more you would get back. The 1509 ARC, in my opinion, would hit a wall beyond which there was a non-linear relationship between effort expended and distance delivered. The trick was to keep a great feel in the rod while achieving these design goals; to keep what Scott O'Donnell calls "Love". Like the best ARCs (1287 and 1509), the new line had to handle short, medium, and long belly lines with equal aplomb - the mark of a really exceptional rod.

So, to my mind, if you are interested in a rod with a softer progressive feel, and don't anticipate casting very long distances (irrespective of line belly length), the ARC is tailor made for you.

On the other hand, if you are interested in a potentially wider range of casting and fishing versatility, and prefer a rod with a stiffer or firmer tip feel, a matte finish (a big plus in scandinavia and scotland), which is lighter than the ARC, and about $200 less, try out the LS2.

I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts