Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure these are even out yet. Has anyone here on the forums cast the new LS2's?

Looking for a 14' spey rod under $500 I can winter fish on the Grande Ronde and Clearwater with and have narrowed it down to a Loop Yellow if I can find one or the Scott 14' 8 wt LS2.

btw, I have and love a CND Custom and Expert and will continue to use them, I have a bad habit of having to own/try/recycle etc. different brand fly fishing sticks...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi there!

I got the full range of the LS2 series in hand before last weekend. Despite the cold up here near the Arctic, I spent some time starting to test cast them during saturday.

While I can't evaluate the 14' for the use on your great desert rivers, I can tell you that I fell completely in love with the 14'. Being a preliminary impression, to me it so far seems like the rod in the series that was best balanced. It is extremely light, VERY precice, having an even and well formed bending curve, and as Scott says, performs well both with our shooting heads and longer lines. A real presicion instrument with a lot of power too.

To me, the 14' seems somewhat faster than the rest of the series. As for classifying the action, I would call it medium, knowing that some of you americans like to class rods we here call M as fast... The rod is definitely faster than the ARC, deeper but far more more full blooded than the SAS/A2.

I also think the rod tackles lines heavier than 8, and that the 8 rating comes from the weight you should use among real spey lines. For instance, I think the rod performed very well with a 9/10 scandinavian shooting head, that I normally use both on my 8/9 and 9/10 classed rods.

My advice: Be sure to give it a try!

Good luck

·
Registered
869 Posts
I recently lawn cast the new 13' 7 wt and thought it felt very nice. right in between the T&T action and the european sage. this is my only way to describe it since these are the rods i'm most familiar with. it felt very light in the hand, had a very quick recovery and loaded easily even on the lawn. the rep has a 14' 8 wt on the way for me to fish and i will give a full report when i can.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
If you are looking for a Loop Yellow, try some of the Speyclave sponsors. Either Mike at Redshed or The Fly Fishing Shop can set you up no problem.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Scott LS2's

I saw some in one of the local shops here in Medford (Oregon) so I know they are out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input!

I have a 14' LS2 on the way. Evidently a Scott dude is fishing this rod on the Clearwater right now with 7/8/9 Rio Windcutter.

I wii try that line and take along a longer Windcutter head to try both head lengths.

If I can make my planned trip there (or the Methow) arround Dec 1st, I'll give a rod report when I return.

PS (I 'm sure a Loop and CND SS are in my spey future somehwere as well....)

PPS - A special thanks to Mike aka Poppy @ the Red Shed for getting me started in Spey-flat out the BEST ( I promise I will protect your identity from my wife :tsk_tsk: )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts