Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

For those of you who own or have cast this rod, I would like to know what
"action" this rod is...? What do you feel is the grain window for this rod? Also, I would like to know what non-Rio line recommendations you have for this rod (AirFlo, SA, etc...?) I have nothing against Rio, but I am just searching for other lines options (w/ tips, Skagit, etc...)

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
From a previous post by Way yin on the LS2 series.

I would think that this rod would cast a 450 grain skagit type line well and the 7 wt xlt. The AIRFLO Delta 7 and the DeltaLong 7

There were five all new two-hand rods, called the "LS2" series, unveiled by Scott in Denver:

12' 6 weight
13' 7 weight
14' 8 weight
15' 9 weight
16' 10 weight

All are four piece low profile sleeve ferrule designs, matte black finish with checkered gray wraps, two lined stripping guides, hayfork tip top (very stealthly looking - no flash) with downlocking REC anodized black reel seats (twin locking rings), a simple tapered non-flared foregrip, a longer rear grip than the A2 series with composite cork butt cap replacing the previous high density foam rubber of the newer A2's and ARC's.

The rods are designed to be incredibly light in hand (the 1509 weighs around 8.5 oz., the 1610 around 9.5 oz), yet have a modern, not-too-fast, not-too-slow action with more tip feel than the A2's and more crispness and quicker rebound than the more classic ARC series (which is still available). The feel throughout the range is consistent; for example, if you cast the 1408, the same action and feel is present in the 1610. An incredible amount of time was spent specifying the desired actions and fine tuning on the water and with high speed quantitative digital video analysis. The rods have been designed to excel with casting various belly lengths of line (it's easier to design a rod that throws short bellies than long bellies; a rod that's good with a long belly well will throw a short belly well but not vice versa) and have been designed to accomodate a wide range of casting styles.

A rod sock and aluminum tube is included with Scott's usual lifetime unconditional warranty. The retail is bewteen $575 and $595. My understanding is that produciton is ramping up with preseason orders; retail customers should be able to get the rods before the end of the year, possibly as early as Thanksgiving.

Hopefully this provides some more information...

Scott Fly Rods Pro Staff
Scientific Anglers/3M Pro Staff

·
Registered
545 Posts
The 1307 is one of my favorite rods. The following lines are all Rio but I am sure you can use the info to find lines that will work for you.

The rod casts great with 6/7 midspey (59', 490 gr.). I fished all of last fall with this set up and loved it. The 450 skagit is good with 9-10 sink tips in about the 125 gr. range (37' and 575 gr. overall). When Simon and I cast the rods for his Rio recs. he tried the 5/6 windcutter (48.5', 365gr.) and it was awesome (I was suprised at how nice it was). He put the 5/6 as his A rating (we both also really liked the 490 gr. 6/7 MS very much as well. Very strange but as long as it cast nice who cares the number.) The line that I really like for casting and many of my fishing situations is a custom windcutter that is 45' and 560 grains. A heavy line but it is effortless on the rod for cast as short as 20' and out to about 90' (great on the Gaspe' salmon rivers and smaller tighter rivers in the PNW).

I am a bit strange in that I like both fast action rods with quick splash and go casts and I like deeper loading PNW style of casting as well. Depending on the river and situation I really enjoy both.

I usually like short lines for short rods and long lines for long rods so have very little experience with long bellies on this rod so I am no help there.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions as it is quit possible that my ramblings are not very clear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for the Recommendations...

Hi Greg and Rick...

Thank you very much for your recommendations... Wow! Sounds like this a very versatile rod - WC 5/6 to MS 6/7 (nice wide grain window!) I look forward to trying these lines on the rod (on order now...) Also, a friend of mine is going to lend me his Hardy Mach 1 Plus 8/9... should be interesting to see how this line casts as well. Thanks again!

-Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.