Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready after three years of spey casting to move up from the windcutter to a longer bellied line. I decided to start with my summer rod, a scott arch 1308. I love the rod for its sensitivity in fighting fish but it is a bit weak in the knees from a casting point of view compared to some others. The rio mid spey seems like too short a jump in belly lenght. The comments on the airflo trad. seem pretty good, do you think the belly is too long for this rod?? I would be interested in comments.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
It has been a long time since I cast the 1308. I have the 1287 which is a faster rod. I have used both the Airflo long Delta (not the newer trad line) and the 7/8 xlt on this rod and it handles both lines extremely well - carries the full xlt with minimal strain.

I would think that either the xlt or the longer new Airflo lines would cast well with the rod - might consider underlining by one line weight (maybe a 7/8 rather than 8/9) if you are concerned with overlining the rod.

Not sure your location but if you can make the Sandy clave in May I expect both lines will be available for you to try out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I think you are right about underlying on a long belly line. I'll let you know how it works out. I attended the sandy spey clave last year and it was terrific. I already have both days marked off my calander. WPK

·
Registered
344 Posts
My buddy has this rod, and seems to like a Triangle Taper Spey on it. That line has a pretty good head length (70 feet?) without the weight of most long bellies. I can't recall which weight he settled on, but for a summer steelhead rod/line combo it seems pretty nice.

--Bill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question Answered

I fretted over which weight traditional spey to use on my 1308 and finally decided on the 7/8. I was excited to try the line, put it on a spool and tried a little overhead casting in the back yard. It seemed a little light but I thought probably ok so I did a dumb thing and marked it at 60' and in ten foot increments to 90'. I went fishing on the Sandy using my gl3 9/10 and brought the Scott along to try out. I was feeling good due to perfect water, wheather and having hooked and lost a late winter in the first run. When I finished, I put the Scott together and entered the run. I stripped 60' off the reel and began to cast, sort of... at 60' it felt two line weights light. By applying power I could get it out but a breeze would have blown the line around. I went to 70' and the rod loaded a little better but disappointingly light. At 80' it probably would have loaded adequately but thats beyond by current ability with a 13' rod. I have been windcuttering it for the three years since I took up the spey. I tried a long delta 7/8 today and it was perfect for the rod. So my conclusion is that the 7/8 is too distributed in weight to be a practical fishing line on the 1308 unless I wanted to start at 80' which doesn't make sense and I can't throw that much line yet anyway. I can't take the line back because I marked it. Kind of an expensive way to learn that the 8/9 Traditional would have been the line to get for the 1308. I am impressed by Airflow's manufacturing technology as the line is supple and slick as grease. Anyway, thats the analysis. ..wk

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Good thing you didn't go for the even longer lines!

FYI -

Traditional 7/8 = 82 ft head w/ 650 grains

Traditional 8/9 = 84 ft head w/ 725 grains

Long Delta 7/8 = 63 ft head w/ 580 grains

This supports your theory. Thanks for pointing out that the key factor is what length you want to fish - from that you can match the grains to the rod. If you are fishing short or tips, and don't mind stripping put the grains in a short length. If you are fishing long, and don't want to strip - spread them out.

Is your traditional set up with multi-tips? How much do you want for it ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is not a multi-tip since I intended to use it for summer run fishing, which is all dry line for me. If your interested in the line, how would $50 sound? I used it all of 30 min., it's back on the spool and in the box. Thanks for the reply. ...wk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts