Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate some comments about Scott ARC 1287 and T&T 1307 ( both wt.7 rods).
How each of them performs with classic spey casts like single spey, snake roll etc., and underhand cast with shooting heads. Which one is more an all-around rod for fish up to 15 lb.

Thanks
Robert

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Robert,

I can't comment too much on the Scott as I have only cast in once for a few minutes. If memory serves me right, it is a nice rod and probably comes in at what I would call a true 7 weight. I don't remember being super impressed though as it, like many of the ARC series, tended to be a little soft actioned for my preference.

The 1307 T&T on the other hand is a rod I absolutely love. Of all the rods I own, this would likely be the last one I would sell. It is a stiff 7 but does not overwelm 5-7 pound fish. While not the rod of choice for larger fish, I have landed three in excess of 14 pounds on it and it handled the job fine. Like other T&T rods, it is fairly fast actioned. It is cabable of light sinktip work but really shines with a full floater. Either the 6/7 midspey or 6/7 delta long match well with the rod.

I am sure there will be some good feedback on the ARC as well, but I don't think you can go wrong with the 1307.

sinktip

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have both of those rods and like them both. The T&T is definitely a bit stronger and more versatile. Though I don't use either for sink tips, I think the T&T would handle them a bit better with its stronger tip. I've used medium belly floaters, Windcutters and heads with both and they handle them just fine with all the usual casts. I don't like long belly lines with either rod - timing too critical and too much stuff in the air when windy. The T&T is a truly great shooting head rod and its fast action makes 90-100' casts very easy and consistent. The Scott is a nice light greased line rod, but if I had to choose one, the choice would be very easy - T&T.

·
Registered
869 Posts
i own the t&t and have used it with up to 10 ft of t14 with ease. i have also used it with a 200 grain piece of deep water express and it handled that too, although timing was crucial. this was on a reg w/c 6/7/8. i have also cast it with a floating ssh in 8/9 wt with 10 ft cut off the back. i can throw this 90ft so someone who was a good caster could do it all day. as an everyday rod for the gl or 7 wt western water the t&t is a fine choice. i have not cast that scott so i will not comment on it.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have only cast the T&T for a short time and agree it is a faster rod than the 1287 and have heard good things about it. That being said if I could only have one spey rod it would likely be the 1287. I love this rod and it handles short as well as long lines with ease - I love the AIRFLO Long Delta and the 7/8 xlt on this rod. And despite what others have said, it handles tips very easily. I have cut my xlt and put a loop on it and it will throw type 6 and 8 tips with little effort. I much prefer the bit softer action of this rod to a very fast action rod - it has a progressive taper so can load from the tip or all the way into the butt. Don't think you can go wrong with either rod but would suggest trying to cast each before deciding. If you prefer fast action go with the T&T but if your prefer a medium fast action (which I prefer with tips) get the Scott

·
Registered
81 Posts
Robert

If your faced with one over the other, then you have two of the best to choose from. However it's also a loaded question. Because your asking two different kinds of people to tell you why they prefer a Chevy over a Ford or vice/versa. Anywho I'll take a stab at this one. I own the baby Arc and a friend has the T&T. I've fished both, and will not give you any faults of one over the other. You choose, then let us know if your a Chevy man or a Ford man. and why!

Tom Hill

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about CND Solstice 13'4" or 14'3" wt.7 ?

Thanks very much for all your comments regarding Scott ARC and T&T, which I have to definitely test.
How CND Solstice 13’4” wt.7 and 14’3” wt.7. score vs. ARC and T&T ?
I realize that Solstice has been designed for summer fishing, but more and more people claims that, specially, 14’3” is all around rod for summer and light winter fishing, with exception to underhand cast with shorter shooting heads.
Any thoughts?

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts