Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The 6 wt Scott is a pretty soft action rod with a relatively short bottom grip. Nice for short casts and a great nymphing rod for trout. I have not tied the Sage you asked about but would highly recommend the next Scott in the line up - the 12'8" 7 wt - an incredible fishing tool - good crisp action but very smooth casting - can hit 100' with not too much effort and handles tips very well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rick,
I have the Sage 7136-4 and love it, but I am looking for a lighter softer one, and it sounds like the Scott will do, I'm not looking to make overly long cast with it.
Thanks.

The Flymaster.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
SCOTT ARC 1196-4

I have one which I built and like the rod well enough.
It will cast right along with the rest of the 6wts.
I have cast it with a long belly S.A. Steelhead taper and it will handle the whole head.
Think this rod would be very easy to over line.
Good Summer run rod for the Stilly.

Speybum

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have this rod and two weeks ago on the Clark Fork at Warm Springs and Rock Creek, MT I used this rod to the exclusion of 5 other rods I had with me. I am a new and very average spey caster, so I cant' tell what the full potential of this rod is, but I can tell you what I did. Doug Persico--thee man on Rock Creek who runs the Mercantile there---said he had never seen anyone spey Rock Creek before. Typically, I would pick nice steelhead type runs with my butt up against a granite strewn bank which rose 20-30 ft to the road and spey 50-60 ft to within 10 ft of the far bank, put in a mend or two and let my 'wonder-bugger'drift on down. Did not have great numbers, but in the last hour brought a plump 19" bow to net; with the talk I heard in the shop, no one was doing any better than I was. Did this six hours a day for six days. Used a Rio Mid-Spey line(Simon Gawesworth's suggestion) and an Abel 2 reel. "William" who posts this site suggested I lengthen the butt by 3" and I am having that done. This is a really nice nymphing and streamer fishing tool.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have this rod, and it is the lightest two handed rod I have cast by a good margin. This rod is a lot of fun to fish, but I still haven't found the perfect line for it. What is working for you folks?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts