Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I have a Scott ARC 1510-4 and have a line dilema. I've used Launcher lines (Cortland big game 12 wt, cut and looped for tips ala Fly Fishing Shop), and a Windcutter 10/11 on it. Both work but are nothing to shout about. The Launcher is starting to crack, and a client who's owed me bucks for three years sent me some new-in-box lines as a peace offering. The lines are a 10/11 accelerator and a 10/11 Midspey, both in multi-tips. When I mentioned this to SpeyBum at the Spey tying roundtable this week I got the reaction I used to give folks who wanted to run indicators and split shot on 2 weights.

So... Sell the lines on E-Bay and get what I can? Fish them? Can't help but notice Simon Gawesworth says 8/9 midspey works great on the rod... If so the 10/11 lines don't sound like the makings of a great time! When time allows I'm going to take advantage of the wonderful resources River Run Anglers is and try lots of lines, but any help narrowing down the now daunting list of lines would be appreciated. I got my first spey rod in '97. It was easier then to pick a line :hehe:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
PHILSTER: I have been a double-handed convert for about a year and a half now. The one and only Spey rod I own is the ARC 1510-4, a purchase intended for chasing big kings... so far, still chasing... but hope to baptize my not so new toy with a Kenai king someday... maybe next season.

Never having cast another big stick by any other manufacturer, I'm not even sure where my Scott falls in the total spectrum of slow to fast action. I started casting with a std Windcutter 9/10/11, and almost immediately graduated to a longer head by switching out the std 15' middle piece for a 30 ft "upgrade" extension.

To get down deep, I also purchased one of RIO's 24' Big Boy tips... I believe it was a 400 grain (originally ordered both a 400 and 600, but one of them was not in stock... not sure which, and I never bothered to re-order thereafter).

There are times that I can relate to your friend's "split shot/indicator on a 2 wt" analogy. When I present this line combo into a slow deep run, it's damn near impossible to get the line out of the water from the hangdown. I will usually have to strip in a good amount of line, roll cast back down river shooting some line back into the hangdown position, then launch into a snap-T or double spey as soon as the line hits the water, before it has a chance to sink again. I've often wondered if that is just the price one must pay to be able to fish deep... OR... am I just asking too much of this rod by overloading it with the equivalent of a 78' head... 54' (std Windcutter 9/10/11) + 15' (upgrade) + 9' (Big Boy tip).

Is there any one else out there who owns this rod that might have other line suggestions for a deep presentation?

Thanks

·
JD
3,609 Posts
xlt lines for Scott Arc 1510

If you dig around on Marc Bachmann's website, www.flyfishusa.com you will find Way Yinn's line recommendations for matching a Scieentific anglers XLT line to your rod. These arre long belly floating lines. You would have to cut and loop your own tips. ANd as MJC mentioned, both he and Mark have a loaner program.

FishNphycian, sounds like you have built up quite a heavy line if you are casting a WC 9/10/11 with the accelerator upgrade and a 400 grain bigboy. Most people usually remove both tips when using the big boys. To raise the sink tip, try doing a spiral single or a snake roll, depending on which side of the river you are on. You may have to do multiple spirals/snakes (in the same cast) in order to cork screw the tip out of the water.

JD

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks J.D.

I actually found the link to that from Dana's page. I'm picking up an XLT for another rod (on order from River Run Anglers), and depending on how I like the way the line handles, will consider one for the big stick. Cuting and looping isn't threatening to me:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
JD

Thanks for the reply... sounds like I am overloading this rod in a big way. I'm surprised I have been able to launch that entire rig as described without even more problems all this time.

I will try removing the upgrade and going back to the std middle piece as a start. If it's still too heavy (total grains) then I'll get rid of the middle piece altogether, as you described most people doing. The only problem with that setup is that it only leaves me with a 48 foot head... shorter than the original WC itself.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Last spring I was throwing a 24' RIO tip on my Scott 1509 using a 9/10 xlt cut at 26 feet and it seemed to do a credible job with not too much effort - As JD mentioned, a snake roll was very effective at pulling th tip up. A spiral single or snap t worked well on the oppositie side.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,429 Posts
I have this rod but only occasionally fish it. It will handle a 9/10 XLT fine but it does flex it deeply. My line of preference on it for winter fishing is the above mentioned 8/9 Midspey. With this line it has a crisp tip action and is a pleasure to cast using just a short stroke.

I like faster action rods though and as a rule am not a fan of the ARC line for this reason.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sinktip. I just loaded up an old 8/9 midspey yesterday. Will try it out looking for some silvers this weekend. Alot of rod for those fish, but I'd rather cast a fly with the chance of hooking a fish than cast a piece of yarn while I'm out testing lines :devil:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ah heck, lets throw one more suggestion into the mix.

Jim, it was the ARC 1510-4 you/I were demo'ing sinking heads to the Rogue River Flyfishers Spey class last Friday. The line was a 10-11 RIO Acltr cut back just below the hinge. Lots of grains behind this to pull up a 300 grain 'big boy.'

You may have trouble finding this line for sale 'retail,' but check with RIO direct as they may still have 'some' in their wharehouse.

I think your term was "Boy, this is a sweet rod."

Vis a vis casting this the above suggestions are quite good, but when I've got this much weight working I favor the Perry Poke as it pulls all the line up, re-lays it down on the water in front of you and the forward cast just blows the head out like nobodies business.
fae

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Fred

In my initial post, one of the lines I have new in box is an Accelerator 10/11. My initial plan was to use it without the tip for casting brass and copper tubes with a floating line for winter work. I still my try and sell the line, but if I can't, I may go back to that plan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts