Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I spend a bunch of cash on new lines or tweak old lines, I was wondering if anyone out there has suggestions for the Scott Arc 1509. I like faster rods and use Rio's "A" designation as a general guide.

I had a 7/8 Rio mid-spey on( Simon's recommendation) and it seemed not to load without some effort on my part. So I put a 9/10 I had on and it seems to overload. I 've a 7/8/9 Windcutter with the upgrade in a bag to try next. Any suggestions or recommendations.

It's a great excuse to go down to the river, but the frustration... and the language that follows.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Take a look at the Long Deltas

I picked up a Airflo Long Delta for my 1509 about a month ago and I am pleased with it's performance. Distance is not problem (100') and it mends very well. You can work a fixed length of line at about 70' plus it will punch a fly into strong winds. Turns over large spey flies too.

At the same time I picked up the Long Delta for my old 7136 and the rod really likes this line. This is the first line that this rod has ever loved. Used it on the Deschutes last night (broke the tip section on the 1509 the day before). With strong up river winds (river left) and using the snap T, I was able to consistanly make 60' to 70' casts. I have had this rod for many years and would never use it when it was windy but things have change now.

BTW, good choice on the rod!

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Curious what Long Delta you used. I have to think the long deltas may be undergrained in higher weights as they match the deltas in grain wt even with the longer belly. I have a 7/8 long Delta on my Scott 1287 that is a dream but think in heavier wts you need to be careful in picking the right wt for the rod.

I just got the 7/8 XLT which is truly awesome on this rod. At the Spey clave, I cast an 8/9 XLT on my Scott 1509 and it was a wonderful combination. I believe Way Yin indicated that the 9/10 would also be a geat match though I think this line is still being tweeked. The one I tried at the Spey Clave overloaded the 1509. Especially if you like a faster action (or type A) the XLT 8/9 would be a great line

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I demoed the 1509 this spring for 2 weeks with both an 8/9 Midspey and an 8/9 Accelerator on it. For my casting style, also like Rio's A designations, both were a bit much for the rod. That being said, I'm sure many out there would like the heavier feel.

For what its worth, I use both the above mentioned lines on a Scott 1510 ARC and they are a pleasure to cast. For me anyway, the 1509 is really an 8 weight.

st

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks to you all that replied. I'll go out and give it a toss, your suggestions were very helpful.

Thanks, hang on and rip some lips

1 - 5 of 5 Posts