Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come into an ARC 1308 made by Scott Rod Co. and was wondering if anybody had same and might recommend some favored lines/sizes/manufacturer which they feel compliment the rod's action?!
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

You can use the search function to find a lot of information. RIO is a site sponsor and their data is found at http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp.

You can also get good recommendations from a couple of sponsor fly shops, River Run Angler, Red Shed, and The Fly Fishing Shop.

Some users will probably chime in with their favorites. A lot of matching is personal preference, so it is best to get some instruction and then try some lines to find out what works best for you.

·
Banned
161 Posts
The ARC 1308 is one of the rods that has received some bad press while the 1287 and 1509 are liked by many. I came upon a 1308 as well and have fished it a fair bit. A buddy at a local shop really likes his for light skagit style work.

I found the rod capable of skagit style casting with a short head in the 550-600 gr. class (which will be considered heavy by many). This set-up will handle larger flies as long as I keep my form and don't wade too deep. It is a real pleasure with unweighted flies. The rod really comes into its own when fighting fish and casting all day; it is very light and responsive.

While I often wonder if the rod will last in my arsenal, I enjoy my days with the rod. Keep experimenting and I think you will learn to enjoy the rod.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts