Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

Anybody having any experience with this rod? I fish with a SAS 14 ft 9 wt, and find it quite rigid. I would like to try something more 'workable'.

BR,

Nils

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Welcome Nils -

I mostly fish Sage twohanders, sorry I don't have any comments to offer on the arc Scott but I am sure others will. Be sure to read http://speypages.com as well.

That's a gorgeous fish BTW, I am heading out to the pacific northwest soon - looking forward to seeing a few fish like that myself.

Juro

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Scott ARC rods: general thought.

Have the 10wt 15' and have used others. All grand rods designed in the "Euro" fashion. (Rick Jorgensen knows these rods inside out-backwards and forwards) Grand if 'overlined' with a dry line, and real cannons with tips.

The Scott ARC's appear to like the 'grains' up front in the head to flex the rod properly.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Scott Arcs

Spey Bubba has fished these rods quite a bit I think. Try doing a search on "Scott" or "arc" or "1308" or maybe "Scott 1308" and see what you can come up with. That SAS 1409 is a very fast stick. I have heard that the Arc series is a little more moderate action, but I have never tried one.

JD

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Scott Rods

Check out the Tackle board and look for Scott Rods - Likes/Dislikes - Spey Bubba (Way) who is on the Scott pro staff has used th rods extensively and has a good description of them. I just sold my Scott 14' 9 wt and am getting the 15' 9 wt. for a bit more gun at the high end. I also have the Scott 12'8" 7 wt which is a true gem. Have not tried the 13' 8wt but according to Way it has a slower action.

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
Had and sold this rod. Its smooth as silk but really wimpy, and I'm not necessarily a fan of faster rods. If you fish a lot in the 50' range it can be great fun, but I prefer my Sage 7136. More life to it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
hi nils

good question. i agree with the other members who have posted answers. the SAS series of rods are predominantly designed for overhead casting, especially for the european market, and are very stiff and fast in action.

personally, i don't care for the 1308, finding it too soft all the way through. although lovely for short classic spey casts, i think the 1287 is a lot more bang for the buck; an absolutely super rod under 13 feet. i typically will fish the 1287 as far away as 105 feet to the fly on the deschutes, and it is a versatile stick which handles light tips very well. it has a lovely feel to it, and balances perfectly.

fyi, the 1308 action is very similar to the 1409 (both ARCs), and the 1287 is very similar to the 1509...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks!

Hello there!

Thank you all very much for your feedback, it has been very valuable!

Keep that rod bent!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts