Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at old posts for a bit, and there isn't much on these rods. Has anybody tossed one? Just curious to hear a few opinions and maybe line choices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Scott A2's

Hello Doc:

First of all, a preface. For many years, I have been an ardent fan of more traditonal, slower-action two-handed rods. I know several on this board do not care for the old Sage 9140-4 "brownie", and choices are what makes the world go round; however, this rod has been a long time favorite of mine for many years. My current favorites are the Scott 1509 ARC and the 1287-3 ARC. Definitely not quick rods by any stretch, but a great deal quicker and more progressive in action than my beloved 9140. End of disclaimer.

A good friend of mine is on Scott's pro staff. A couple of weeks ago, he received the 1409 A2 (14' for 9 weight) in the mail, and we have been putting it through the paces for the past week or so. In a word, AWESOME. This rod will seemingly do it all. Tips, Scandanavian style heads, long-bellies, mid-bellies, etc. It doesn't matter, the rod is not selective when it comes to lines, or casting styles for that matter. I believe the rod is designed for Scandanavian underhand style type casting, but seems to also cast just fine with a less compact, more traditional spey type casting stroke. I guess my natural casting stroke is kind of a hybrid between a true underhand stroke and more traditional (ala' Simon Gawesworth) type traditional spey casting stroke, but whatever my natural casting style could be pigeon holed as, it seems suited to this rod. I prefer Rio's mid-spey line as my go to line in most situations, and this rod with the RIO 8/9 mid-spey is phenomenal. It also seemed to like the Rio 8/9 RIO Grand Spey in full floater configuration and the SA XLT 8/9. I not as proficent with these new long-belly type configurations, so hopefully somebody who is can chime in and give you some better feedback. IMHO, Scott has really done something wonderfu with this series of rods. Now if I just "sneak" a couple into my arsenal without the Ms. taking notice :smokin:

Tight Lines,

Todd

·
Registered
545 Posts
I agree with Todd, the A2 line is sweet. Very light in the hand and very powerful. I have not cast the 1308 yet but if it is as nice as the 14 and 15 we are in business.

Cheers, Greg

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Scott A2 1409

I got to play with this puppy last weekend at Kauffmann's Spey Days. Put it through it's paces, well,,,,as well as a lefty can from just below the top of the run, (river left, single speys right handed, not my best cast) with both the XLT & Grand Spey 7/8 wts. This is a really nice rod. I had heard these were coming, and that they were going to be nice,,,,,,they are. This one was, anyway. Can't wait to get my hands on the 1510.....So many rods,,,,,So little money.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I could be wrong by my impression is that former SAS 1409-3 and A2 1409-3 have the same action, and the difference is in cosmetics.

Salmo

·
Registered
149 Posts
My info is the same as salmo's: It is just (well, that is not "just"), the old SAS models with new name and rigging. That is supposed to be true both for the twohanders and also the fine onehanders, according to the scandinavian representatives for Scott. As said before, I really like the 1308 for our type of fishing shooting heads for Atlantics in summer conditions.

Anyone from Scott on the board could confirm this? Or should we expect improvements in the blank???

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Norwegian said:
My info is the same as salmo's: It is just (well, that is not "just"), the old SAS models with new name and rigging. That is supposed to be true both for the twohanders and also the fine onehanders, according to the scandinavian representatives for Scott. As said before, I really like the 1308 for our type of fishing shooting heads for Atlantics in summer conditions.

Anyone from Scott on the board could confirm this? Or should we expect improvements in the blank???
I can tell you for a FACT that the new A2 Single-handers are a total differant animal then the SAS/Alpha series...that is based upon not only info. from Brian O'keefe and others but based upon first hand casting of them...

I have read and heard that Way was involved in the design of the new A2 two-handers but can not verify that...and neither can I verify that the A2 two-handers are much differant, if at all, then the old SAS/Alpha's (although they do feel alot like...I have yet to cast them).

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
According to Scott, A2 1409-3 and SAS 1409-3 have the same blank, and the only difference is in cosmetics.

I did not ask for single-handed rods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Scott A2's

I have been on the Scott Pro Staff since 95 and the new A2's are old SAS's with new cosmetics, looks like that's been established already, and they are fast rods similar to T&T's and GLX's (a bit heavier). A great rod to learn spey. Also, they cast sink-tips with ease. The 1308 A2 can handle close to 350 grains at 24 feet with my casting stroke. Windcutter 7-8-9 or Mid spey 8/9, Delta and Long Delta Tapers 8/9 A great sinking tip rod! Jeff

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all!

Thanks again. It is funny, in the 16' spey rod thread, Way talks about redesigning the SAS into the A2's but it obviously never happened and they stuck some newcosmos on the old blanks and renamed thje rods. He wrote about going to a 4 pc design (would have been nice) and a few other changes. Well, I guess the verdict is in the they are the same rods, but at the same time, a lot of people seem to have a lot of good things to say about them, so if it ain't broke.........:)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
JEFF PUTNAM, Welcome!

Welcome to the clave. We will enjoy getting the real data from you.

I still want to schedule a couple of lessons with you. If and when it stops raining. I'm a Woosie and don't fish rivers during flood stages.

Grampa Spey = Dave Anderson = Father of Chris Anderson, the Cromag Caster Delta Striper Guy.

Has Simon's classes been firmed up in May, and are there still openings for a semi intermediate old Grampa to participate?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
New A2's = old SAS's w/ new cosmetics

When I first considered getting into Spey Casting, Sage discontinued its brown rods and came out with the green rods.

An insider, who will remain unnamed told me to buy the brown rods at a big discount. He said the only difference re the new rods was the color and several hundred $'s per rod for the discontinued brown rods.

That year I bought a new discontinued 7136 and a new 10151 brown rods for the price of just one new green rod. They have worked well, and I will probably keep my brown 7136 for a long time as my late spring, summer and early fall Spey rod. My 10151 has been passed on to my son to use as a beach rod for Baja and some areas on the California cost. I will be replacing it with Meise's new 13' ocean rod which will boom a sinking line out into any river a lot easier than the 10151 can. Also, the shorter rod is a help to an old Grampa if a big mean ole King or steelhead takes the fly off the bottom of a river.

My trophy bride still laughs at Virile Spey casters selling their old spey rods to get the same rod at more money in a different color in order to have the newest toy on the river. :hehe:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: New A2's = old SAS's w/ new cosmetics

Grampa Spey said:
....I will be replacing it with Meise's new 13' ocean rod which will boom a sinking line out into any river a lot easier than the 10151 can.
The 12/13 ? All three of the rods in the series look interesting. I assume that the ratings are per AFTMA standards, not spey line ratings; is that right ?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello Gentlemen:

Sorry about the tardiness of my reply; a friend at the recent Bellevue show let me know about this thread. Like Jeff, I am also on the Scott Pro Staff.

[The A2 single hand series was redesigned from the ground up; a little quicker in action through the range, and in my opinion, having cast many, many single handers, a pretty wonderful performance bargain for a rod completely hand-made from scratch in the USA. ]

The A2 double handers, as noted by Ryan, salmo and Jeff, currently are the SAS blanks with a much improved reel seat, grip design, and graphics, in a three-piece design. I have always loved the 1409 A2, and truly, this is a rod where dollar for dollar, you would be hard pressed to find one more capable. As noted by Todd, it is an amazing rod. Easily capable of carrying an entire 8/9 XLT overhead (try it!), and simultaneously capable of chucking the same XLT well over 135 feet to the fly with a single spey. I have fished it in Russia with shooting head style lines, and it is equally happy...

I unfortunately can't say what Scott is up to for their next two-hand offerings, nor when they will be released (I can say Scott does take their prototyping and R&D VERY seriously), but I competed with a 16 foot proto A2 in this past year's Musto, and have deeply enjoyed fishing a 15' 6" A2 proto extensively in Russia for Atlantic Salmon. I am very excited with what I have had a chance to cast and fish so far!

Cheers,

Bubba

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Greg Pavlov

Greg, the Meise Ocean rod that I'm trying is Bob's middle rod. I think that he calls it a 9/10, and I would add an 11. The weights are AFTMA and not Spey line weights.

The rod that Bob is building for me has a longer special cork in the handle and with this cork that will be used, basically according to Bob kicks the rod up to an 11+ weight.

Our ocean has been so rough with storms, that I haven't been able to test the rod on the ocean. In the rivers, with an overhand cast, it flings the Rio Striper line with a 350 grain tip out 80' to 90' plus. It does the same with the Rio 10 weight Versi tip with a tip compensator and a 15' tip, the big Teeny sinking tip lines, the SA Striper 10 weight intermeidiate and the Skagit shooting tip that Rio sent us. It also casted well with Double Spey casts with these non spey lines. Being 13' instead of 15', makes a rod that is for me easier to cast than the 15' Sage Euro rods and similiar rods. The rod comes with an extra tip, and Bob will be making the extra tip more of a Spey Rod tip than the ocean tip.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that this rod will enable even an old grampa in the late Summer and Early Fall Salmon runs in California and S. Oregon to cast out where the salmon are running and holding deep, easier and more efficiently than with my Sage 10151. Also, the striper lines dive like submarines versus the best diving spey lines. The Rio Striper line on a trip on the Russian was bouncing off the bottom very quickly in high and fast water after the cast. I could barely hit bottom with a Grand Spey, a tip compensator and their new type 8 sinking tipwith my ARC 1409. My Mid Spey with the tip compensator and type 8 sinking tip, never hit bottom. I had to clean leaves from my flies with the Rio Striper line after casting it with Bob's new ocean rod. That was never a problem with the Spey lines.

So, it will replace my 10151 for the King Salmon runs this fall. The rod should work well in the close ocean waters of the Russian and other rivers with a salmon run where the salmon like to hold reasonably close off shore and in the estuaries after the salmon come up the river.

Like Bob's switch rod, you can really lay on the rod when you have a fish with his new Ocean rod. 5 and 6 # stripers caught in our local river from the shore with the striper lines and this rod are brought in to be released in a couple of minutes. A striper that big with a standard spey rod in a fast flowing river can become a real handful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A2's/ Grampa Spey

Grampa Spey, sorry that Simons classes are sold out but I can put you down for 2005 if you are interested. Let me know if I can assist with lessons, after it dries out in Sac. Also, what are your favorite speys for Northern CA?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Welcome, Jeff Putnam

Jeff is a great addition to this board. He is one of the very top NorCal casting instructors, owns and runs the successful Jeff Putnam's Fly Fishing School in Sacramento, California, and is a teacher that can do it all on any river. Jeff's school brings Simon G. to Sacrament once a year, as well as having its own instructor staff.

Watching Jeff cast a single- or double-hand rod is to witness harmony of line, rod and hand. He is patient, calm and thorough. I recommend his training without hesitation.

Maybe we can prevail upon Jeff to post an image of the Dean River tuna he landed last year. Show us, Jeff!

As if that is not enough, Jeff is General Manager of Sacramento's premier fly shop and is a member of Scott Rod Company's Pro Staff since 1995.

Welcome, Jeff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dean steelhead

Here is the Dean steelhead Bob mentioned. Just goes to show even a blind squirrel can get hit in the head by the acorn! Measured 38" long. Actually, fishing was very slow, 7 fished hooked in 4.5 days of fishing. Jeff

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts