Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Scott stopped making the ARC 11' 9" 6wt but I am interested in hearing any comments on this rod. Would it make a good big river trout rod for skagit lines & streamers? What lines? Do you have the original small or large rear grip? Realistic fishing distances? Thanks - Lawrence

·
Registered
115 Posts
Scott 11'9" 6 wt ARC

I have this rod and have landed several 8 to 10 lb steelhead with it. It has a light tip, but serious power in the butt. Not sure if it's the small or large rear handle, (I would guess the small) but it's a few years old if that helps any. I currently have it lined with a Rio Steelhead / Salmon 7 wt floater and have no complaints. Conventional single handed casts, roll casts as well as single and double speys are all pretty easy with this set up. Casting distance seems to be limited by my abilities, not the rod, but 50 to 60 feet throws are not difficult.

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Find something newer than a Scott 6 wt.

I owned this rod and recently sold it. I found it difficult to cast any kind of distance or weighted flies. I tried several types of lines and found it difficult to find one that I liked. Several people recommended the Windcutter 7/8/9 which I felt would be way to heavy for the soft tip of this rod. It is well suited for light line work with floating lines and dry flies, ie. summer runs on the Deschutes and you need to be a good spey caster to really work this rod, something I am not.
I think there are much better rods out there today. Try a Meiser or Sage TCR 7 wt with a Skagit system head. There is no comparison to what these rods will do vs. the Scott 6 wt.
Overall I would not recommend this rod. You can find it on Ebay trading under $300. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a used 119/6 with a short handle. I use it for trout fishing and have fished it with a #6 wf floater and a 6/7 speyline. Initially, it was difficult to get used to the rod but found that once I relaxed the tempo it casted well . I found it very sensitive for detecting strikes which is especially important for me since I plan to use it for nymph fishing in skinny smaller waters (in France) without indicators, and even a small fish will put a nice bend to it. It is quite light at 5.3oz with the short handle; but, I think the longer handle version is few oz. heavier.

I am new to spey fishing but one thing I can say is it's good for fishing for regular trout using the roll cast and the forhand cast with single or two hand. I can't say how it'd fish with a heavy line but I've test casted a Teeny 300 line with it without any problems. I have several Scott g rods and its action is similar to that line and it's a lot of fun when the fish is on.

Ted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts